PDA

View Full Version : One man's discard is another man's treasure

Marc Himes
12-28-2008, 11:58 AM
This is my first attempt at posting a picture and I hope it appears. I am technolocigally challenged and my computer likes my wife more than it likes me but here goes.

The piece is from a dried out Pine burl that was brought in to a fund raiser at our local AAW chapter. I wasn't sure what kind of wood it was until I smelled the turpentine-like aroma. The burl was shaped like an oblong potato, so it became my first winged, natural edged bowl. The darker wood is full of pitch which led to some staining of the lighter wood during sanding.
It is 11 x 5 X 3 1/2 inches and is finished with sprayed Lacquer.
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Marc Himes

Brian Weick
12-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Marc,
All I see is a red X box. ???
Brian

David Epperson
12-28-2008, 12:21 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=70&pictureid=594

Does this help?

Brian Weick
12-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Absolutly awsome job~! :eek: nice work~!

Bill Bolen
12-28-2008, 12:50 PM
If your computer skills are holding you back posting pic's like this one then put the wife on the payroll! You have a beautiful piece here and I think all here would love to see much more of this outstanding work. And thanks to Dave for fixing and posting..Bill..

Marc Himes
12-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks for getting the picture posted for me David. How did you do that?
Thanks for your kind words Brian. I have been working with Steve Schlumph to try to get this figured out. Thanks for your help Steve. I will keep on trying.

Marc Himes

robert hainstock
12-28-2008, 12:53 PM
If we hadn't seen that jackpine bowl a while back at the meeting would you have bothered. seriously Marc that is a beautiful piece. I hope you'll bring it to a meeting for show and tell. :D:D:D
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2008, 1:02 PM
Glad to see that David was able to do something with the photo as I never did see the link in the original post. Mark, the photo that you sent me is HUGE and I found that the software I have for resizing photos didn't want to handle anything that large. So, if it's OK I will let David's photo stand as is.

As for the turning... very nice winged bowl! Hope to get a glimpse of it at our next meeting!

Jim Evans
12-28-2008, 2:37 PM
here's a image resizing site I use - you might try this in the future...

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Allen Neighbors
12-28-2008, 4:16 PM
I still don't see any pic.

David Epperson
12-28-2008, 6:03 PM
Thanks for getting the picture posted for me David. How did you do that?

Right click on the red x, look at "Properties", the URL address was
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/[IMG]http://.org/picture.php?albumid=70&pictureid=594
Took the excess [IMG]http://.org/ out of the middle and put the remaining
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=70&pictureid=594 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=70&pictureid=594)
in between a set of IMG brackets (see "insert image" tag above the typing area).
I'd bet that you can go back to your original post and edit it to make these same changes and it will then show up there. :D

But if you move it...then my link will not work either. :D

Joe Mioux
12-28-2008, 6:23 PM
another easy way to resize a pic is to use Paint.

just go to image select stretch/skeww and downsize to 25-50 pct depending on which forum you are on. For SMC 25 -30 pct works well.

quick and easy

joe

David Christopher
12-28-2008, 6:56 PM
evadently I m knot 2 smart eather cause i cant see the pic

Dave

David Epperson
12-28-2008, 6:58 PM
evadently I m knot 2 smart eather cause i cant see the pic

Dave
I just tried to look at it using Firefox and nothing shows up for me there either. Works fine in IE 7 though. Other Browsers may vary.

Marc Himes
12-28-2008, 7:27 PM
I am sorry everyone but I have tried the suggestion and still can't get the picture to come across. Does the HTML format have any thing to with it? My email system uses the HTML format to transfer pictures out of "my pictures", but the table at the bottom of this thread says the HTML format is off. Steve had suggested clicking on the Attachment icon but that didn't give me the same options it gave him. I will try to sort it out. Thanks for the help. I'll go back to the shop.

Marc himes

Joe Mioux
12-28-2008, 7:35 PM
marc have you tried Paint?

Ron Jones near Indy
12-28-2008, 7:41 PM
I see nothing using Firefox. :(

Jeff Nicol
12-28-2008, 7:41 PM
Marc, If you are using windows just go to the picture. Is it stored in my pictures? If so open the folder that the picture is in. Windows will show on the left side of the window options to do with the picture. Click on the e-mail option and it should open a small window that asks you to make the picture smaller or leave the same size. Click the option to make smaller and it will resize it for you. You could send it to me either way through a PM and I will post it if you still are having trouble. Let me know. Is the picture that is posted by Dave the same photo you are trying to post?

I think that should work.

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2008, 9:35 PM
OK - everything should be up and running now. Thanks David for your assistance as I never thought there would be a difference between Firefox and IE7, there was.

I use Firefox and as such could not see the red X box - so could not delete or change what I couldn't see. Logged out and logged back in through IE7 and the red X was there. OK, something to work with.

Instead of inserting a link to Marc's gallery, which could change at some point in the future if he rearranges what he displays, I copied the photo, did some minor edits and saved under a new name. It was then uploaded to SMC and placed in the original post.

Things should be good at this point. Will have to remember the differences between IE7 and Firefox. Thanks all for your patience!

Bonnie Campbell
12-28-2008, 9:37 PM
Cool bowl (now that I can see it)!!!!!

Jim Kountz
12-28-2008, 9:54 PM
Wow Pine?? Thats really nice, I tried turning pine and all I got was tearout up the wazoo!! You did a fantastic job and an NE to boot! Man alive!!

ROY DICK
12-28-2008, 9:56 PM
Marc,
At first I thought the wing part was glass on a wood turning, outstanding form and grace to this work of art.
Roy

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2008, 10:23 PM
That is a beauty. Form and finish look great.

Allen Neighbors
12-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Whoooeeeee! That's a sure keeper!
Nice turning!

Paul Engle
12-29-2008, 2:01 PM
Nice work , I have turned a lot of Jack pine and bull pine limb burls and a few Fir and love it ( cept for the sanding part) . Excellent job on this one for sure...KUTGW !!!

Steve Mawson
12-29-2008, 3:12 PM
Picture came through for me and it is a beauty. If you still want to practice get a couple more from different angles. That's a real nice piece of lumber.

Skip Spaulding
12-29-2008, 4:24 PM
Awsome bowl Marc! I have never tried pine but guess I better give it a try. Again, very nice piece.

Marc Himes
12-29-2008, 6:24 PM
Thanks to all of you who have helped me get through the posting lesson. I have down loaded Firefox and it seems to work. Thanks again for all the kind comments. One of the real joys of turning is seeing what is inside the piece of wood. There is beauty where we don't expect it. Another joy is the community we have with each other.

Thanks again.

Marc Himes

Jim Swift
12-29-2008, 8:47 PM
WOW...Beautiful bowl Marc.:):):)