PDA

View Full Version : Delta DJ20 Jointer guard problem

Quinn McCarthy
12-28-2008, 11:57 AM
When I went to change my knives in the jointer I put a piece of wood in the fence to hold it open to hold it open when I was changing knives. When I did that I heard a noise that sounded like a spring going off. When I took the wood out I had no tension left for holding the guard against the fence. When I looked at the parts diagram I could see that there is a spring in there for the tension. When I disasembled the guard the spring looks in good shape but I cannot figure out how to get the parts back together so that there is tension in the spring again. I am assuming that there needs to be tension in the spring.

Thanks

Quinn

Greg Sznajdruk
12-28-2008, 12:49 PM
The shaft of the guard has a slot cut into the end there is a portion of the spring that fits into this slot. Move the fence all the way back insert the guard to engage the spring wind the spring with the guard one turn then bring the fence back into its operating range. If there is not enough tension repeat with another turn.

Greg

Charles Saunders
12-28-2008, 1:07 PM
You didn't mention if all of the other parts inside the guard were OK. If the spring pin (#77 in the illustration) is sheared you will be unable to develop any torsion in the spring. Might check that while it's apart. The attached is from the IPB furnished with my 1997 DJ20. It's probably similar.

Quinn McCarthy
12-28-2008, 6:07 PM
thanks Greg and charles.

That worked. I have it a bit tight but can take care of that now.

Thanks again

Quinn