PDA

View Full Version : 37-280 Knife adjustment

john adcox
12-28-2008, 11:32 AM
The 37-280 jointer I have has the little springs under the cutters that are suppose to "easily" adj, the knifes. I have not had much luck with them. Has anyone tried to tap the spring holes and put in jack screws. This would seem to me to be a very accurate method of getting the knives adjusted properly.

Thanks
john

Darren Graham
12-28-2008, 4:42 PM
John,

I think you may be onto a good idea if it would work. My jet jointer only has springs also and I can't get them adjusted correctly either.

Jet makes a cutterhead that would fit into my machine that also includes the jackscrews...have you looked into this option for your jointer?

Just a thought

john adcox
12-28-2008, 5:45 PM
I have not looked into a new cutterhead, being a miserly type, I think the head would cost more that the machine is worth. Even if the tapped holes did not work the springs could still be used just like original.

I will try it tomorrow when I get a chance and find some appropriate screws and a bottoming tap that will just fit the spring holes. Will let you know how it goes. The only problem I see is that the springs seem to overlap both the knife and gib. I would like to keep the gib at the lowest level and let the screws push only aganist the knife.

It will require some trial and error to set the jack screws, but once adj. it should stay that way untill the knives wear down quite a bit from sharpening.---stay tuned---
john