PDA

View Full Version : Applying Wax after Lacquer

Ed Sallee
12-28-2008, 11:19 AM
How long should one wait, after applying lacquer, to apply a quality wax, like Butcher's Wax? I've read that you can do anything from 1 day to 3 weeks.....

Howard Acheson
12-28-2008, 1:38 PM
For all intents and purposes, lacquer is dried/cured within 24 hours. However, waiting 48 hours would be appropriate.

A question, if I may. Why are you going to apply wax? Wax adds no additional protection and once you apply it, you will have a continuing periodic cleaning and rewaxing exercise to contend with.

Ed Sallee
12-28-2008, 1:43 PM
I'm not really sure, why...other than in my mind, it will shine it up just a little more.... but, I've never considered that it would dull over time... Thanks for the head's up. I reckon, I'm done, then... :)

Steve Schoene
12-28-2008, 2:01 PM
If you want shinier lacquer you can polish it further with very fine polishing compound, carrying it all the way to "swirl" remover for a wet look.
This presupposes that you have a really well prepared and level surface and a sufficiently even coating of lacquer. But lacquer will take a really high shine, as will shellac.

Varnish, and especially polyurethane varnish are much harder to achieve a really high shine. They won't go higher than they come out of the can--although rubbing out can smooth and perfect the surface.