PDA

View Full Version : Tools?

Bonnie Campbell
12-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Decided to start a new thread instead of hi-jacking one....

How do you sharpen wrenches to make tenon turners? I've heard of it being done. But my lil pea brain doesn't know diddly about grinding my own tools. I've got a bunch of old wrenches LOML said I could grind up if I find out how :o

Thanks!

(pictures of how it's done would be even better! TIA)

Scott Hubl
12-28-2008, 11:32 AM
I believe you only use a "wrench" to SIZE a tenon, Not actually use one to Cut the tenon?:confused:

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Scott's right Bonnie. I use a 3/8" open end wrench to size a 3/8" tenon. I use a parting tool to do the cutting.

Paul Douglass
12-28-2008, 11:52 AM
This what I made and use for sizing on the most common sizes I use. It hangs by my lathe.

John Landis
12-28-2008, 12:25 PM
I use a wrench for cutting, but only after the tenon is almost to size. It seems to compress the wood more than actually cutting it, but sizes a tenon perfectally I've never tried to sharpen it, and have used the same wrench hundreds of times. Just be careful, as it can get quite hot from the friction.

Bonnie Campbell
12-28-2008, 1:31 PM
Okay, I had posted this question elsewhere and the responder posted pictures. I didn't get my wrench ground down as much as he did, but it seemed to work pretty good turning and sizing this 1" tenon....

It's going to help me loads in making the ice cream scoop tenons. Before it'd be turn, measure, turn measure.... innumerable times. Then I'd STILL get one to small here and there. Thanks so much for everyones help!!!! :) Now I hope the LOML doesn't need that 1" wrench for normal stuff :o

Pete Jordan
12-28-2008, 1:41 PM
Bonnie,

It's better to ask for forgiveness.

Bonnie Campbell
12-28-2008, 1:48 PM
Just showed him the wrench. He said it was great that I found a use for it :D What a wonderful guy!

Larry Marley
12-28-2008, 1:51 PM
May be good idea to stand to one side when using the wrench.
I do when using it to size a tenon.

Jim Kountz
12-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I went to good ol Walmart and picked up a set of their cheapo wrenches just for sizing tenons. They hang near my lathe and are always available and I dont have to use my "good" wrenches.

Curt Fuller
12-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Looks like a good idea to me Bonnie. I've used them to size tenons but a little edge would cut them too. And all my Japanese cars don't use those SAE wrenchs anyway.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Bonnie I use a wrench for cutting tight fitting pieces, especially if I do make a few the same time, like these string pulling tops I make.
I sharpen the one jaw and use it to size the part when I have turned it close to size by just pushing it onto the part with the cutting jaw top side, HTH :D.

Bonnie Campbell
12-28-2008, 11:29 PM
I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be sharpened for top or bottom cutting. So I did the 'bottom'. It was only a piece of redwood I cut, so nothing very hard. I'm hoping tomorrow to try it out on hard woods once I get going on the rest of my ice cream scoops. I will take the advice of skewing the tenon close to size before using the wrench. Easier sharpening my skew than the wrench lol

Jim Underwood
12-28-2008, 11:37 PM
I sharpened the top, and like others, sized the tenon almost to size. Then of course it's still possible to cut the tenon too small unless one keeps a slight amount of pressure on the underside of the tenon with the bottom of the wrench. I cut the box end off of my 1/4 inch wrench and mounted it in a handle.

Bonnie Campbell
12-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Nice handle! I was thinking about putting mine in a handle too. Until I tried it. Being a 1" wrench it's got plenty of heft to it now. And it wasn't hard to hold on to. Your handle is a great idea for the smaller wrenches.

Cody Colston
12-29-2008, 9:30 AM
I've been using my end wrenches to size tenons but have wanted to sharpen one and tru it for cutting the tenon as well. I think I'll also get a cheap set and put handles on them.

Thanks for starting this thread.