PDA

View Full Version : Hidden beauty

ron hossack
12-28-2008, 10:07 AM
It's been too cold in the garage to do any work but since I took sometime off work I was getting bored looking at the computer screen.

It warmed up to 38 in the garage so I looked in my scrap box and found this.

I can't tell you how long it's been there but I moved here 3 years ago and I brought it from AZ with me.

I figured as cold as it was the worst was to turn and toss.

This is what I found after cutting into blanks and turning.

Finished with Plexi+MEK

Not sure how this concoction would react to the cold I used a 100 watt bulb in a reflector close to the wood and it warmed up nicely.

Paul Douglass
12-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Beautiful, Ron. Where does a person buy the parts to make a real seat/handle for a pole and can you do that to a pole you already have? I don't fly fish, but wouldn't that work for making a spinning reel handle?

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Wow Ron - amazing color and grain! Absolutely beautiful!

Greg Just
12-28-2008, 11:11 AM
beautiful wood

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Great looking piece and beautiful wood.

ron hossack
12-28-2008, 2:53 PM
Beautiful, Ron. Where does a person buy the parts to make a real seat/handle for a pole and can you do that to a pole you already have? I don't fly fish, but wouldn't that work for making a spinning reel handle?
Paul ... there are plenty of places. .. Acidrod.com, Cabela's, Jann's Netcraft, and Mudhole off the internet.

You probably have a fishing store in driving distance that stocks reel seats parts.

Andrew Derhammer
12-28-2008, 4:53 PM
To my green eyes i'd have to say that may be a piece of desert iron wood. That finish came out nice.

ron hossack
12-28-2008, 6:42 PM
To my green eyes i'd have to say that may be a piece of desert iron wood. That finish came out nice.
Actually it was in a pile of mesquite I have and it turned like butter.

Until recently I've not had any DI until I got some beautiful DI burl from http://randkwoodsales.com/

Not only does he have some nice wood his prices are very good also.

Jim Kountz
12-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Just goes to show you never know what you find in the ol scrap pile! Mine is starting to take over the shop and will soon need its own zipcode if I dont reduce its size soon!!

Nice job, really cool looking wood!!