PDA

View Full Version : Any Reviews on the new FineWoodworking DVD

Tom Henry
12-28-2008, 10:04 AM
I didn't see a thread on the new FineWoodworking DVD 1-201. Toying around with getting one...I know there have to be a few people here that have one :rolleyes: Lets hear about it...

Jim Becker
12-28-2008, 11:15 AM
LOL...it's sitting next to my hand but I have not yet had time to open the package and load it. Maybe in the coming week...

But the fact that it includes "everything" in the issues, rather than just selected articles will be very nice. There is a lot to learn from the smaller writings as well as the old ads, too.

Gary Click
12-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Received mine a week ago, loaded it and have been browsing it. It does contain everything and is not to bad to search.

I had been planning upon getting back issues off of eBay but this was not only cheaper but much easier to manipulate and I can carry it with me on the road.

Mike Heidrick
12-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Opened mine Christmas day and already printed off a couple articles. I think it is very very nice.

Chip Lindley
12-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Altho I have almost a complete collection of FWW mags, the new DVD is quite nice to have, in that a vague article or method of work can be at my fingertips in a few seconds! In the past I have spent too many hours searching through mag after mag's index to find what I needed. Well worth $150 !!

I suppose the downside is, that the whole 3.5 gig volume must be added to your hard disk. I see no way to access it directly from the DVD. I am sure any serious FWW aficionados will find the room to add the archive. All in All its GREAT! And I hope other mags follow in offering their own *all-time archive*!

Chris Holder
12-30-2008, 2:38 PM
Great tool, and very easy to search. It' neat to be able to look at some of the first issues from the 1970's that are hard to come by.

tim rowledge
12-30-2008, 10:47 PM
It's really nice to have the complete collection on my iMac and the quality is pretty good. The application provided is a bit slow though; I think I'm going to just extract the PDF files and use Preview to view and Spotlight to index.

Mike Henderson
12-30-2008, 11:25 PM
FWW is not known for their computer expertise. For years, their web site was miserable at searching (may be better now). The DVD application is very slow - even just trying to scroll down a page is painfully slow. The issues are in pdf so once you find the issue you need, you can use acrobat reader to read it. Acrobat is much faster (never thought I'd say that about an Adobe application) than the DVD application and gives you more flexibility.

It's a great idea but it needs some work. Maybe "Release 2" will be better.

But even with its problems, it's really nice to be able to search the entire library of volume 1 to 201.

Mike