PDA

View Full Version : Laguna LT16HD or Minimax MM-16?

Arnold E Schnitzer
12-28-2008, 9:55 AM
I am buying a new pro bandsaw before the year kicks over. These two machines seem to be fairly equally thought of. The Laguna is on sale for $2695. The Minimax is now $2595, and comes with mobility unit. The guides are a bit different, the Laguna has a Baldor motor. I'm not sure if the Minimax does also. Another thing--does anybody know if the Minimax has geared trunnions like the Laguna? I'll be calling both companies tomorrow, so I'll get these questions answered, but in the meantime I'd be grateful if some owners would chime in here. One more question--should I spend the extra $300 and go for the Laguna LT18? ($2995)

Jim O'Dell
12-28-2008, 10:11 AM
I think you'll find the MM has the Italian made Centauro motor. Very beefy. Jim.

Doug Shepard
12-28-2008, 10:27 AM
If you're looking in that league you should probably also look at Agazzani
http://www.eagle-tools.com/Pages/agazzani.html

No geared trunnion on the MM16 - I think those kick in on the MM20 or thereabouts?. If you need to move it frequently and dont have a very level floor, I wouldn't consider the mobility kit a plus and would see if you can get a better price without it. There are better mobility options available. Great saw. Lousy manual. Good service.

Arnold E Schnitzer
12-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Agazzani's resaw is inadequate for me. I need 15". Thanks for your idea, though.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-28-2008, 12:01 PM
$300 for two more inches? I'd do it. Not sure which saw I'd pick now, but when I was going through the same dilema, I was about one minute from buying the Minimax when my big old Oliver presented itself. Minimax has great customer support, and Laguna failed to impress me. That was several years ago, maybe they are better now.

guy knight
12-28-2008, 12:10 PM
if you are looking at the LTHD and not the LT it is comparable to the MM the LT is there cheaper version not made in Italy you should also consider customer service when you buy i have had bad experience with Laguna and great service and do love my MM20

Charles Shenk
12-28-2008, 12:12 PM
I have the latest version of the MM16 and love it. I'm of the belief that you can't go wrong with either. In actuality, my MM16 is way overkill for me 98% of the time. I'm sure the comparable Laguna would be the same. Trust your gut and pick the one you like better. If resawing is your primary game, consider a 20" so you can more comfortably run some of those 1" carbide blades on the market.

Arnold E Schnitzer
12-28-2008, 12:58 PM
I tilt the table often so I am really in favor of a geared trunnion system. Can anyone comment on how well this works on their Laguna? I understand the Minimax has the traditional "bump and pray" system--is this so?

Charles Shenk
12-28-2008, 1:54 PM
I tilt the table often so I am really in favor of a geared trunnion system. Can anyone comment on how well this works on their Laguna? I understand the Minimax has the traditional "bump and pray" system--is this so?

You are correct about the MM16 table/trunion not being geared. I see a used Laguna for sale in New Mexico listed on woodnet.

Arnold E Schnitzer
12-28-2008, 2:21 PM
Charles, thanks for the tip, but that's an lt-16, which is lighter-duty and lacks enough resaw height.

Arnold E Schnitzer
12-28-2008, 2:22 PM
$300 for two more inches? I'd do it.

I'm thinking that too...

John Bush
12-28-2008, 4:29 PM
Man, am I going to get in trouble for this!!! I had an 18" BS and wanted more resaw ht. and a foot brake. I looked at the Agazzani, MM,& Laguna and decided the premium quality and price was more than I "deserved" so I visited the Griz (I know I'm not supposed to use this name in the same thread with the these others) showroom and picked the 21" 531. So far it has performed perfectly. I really wanted the Agazanni, as I have this thing for Italians with a slender waist and a nice set of wheels, but for my level of use I couldn't justify the $$$$ and fortunately the Gword was been a good choice.

Ciao, JCB.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-28-2008, 6:09 PM
Man, am I going to get in trouble for this!!! I had an 18" BS and wanted more resaw ht. and a foot brake. I looked at the Agazzani, MM,& Laguna and decided the premium quality and price was more than I "deserved" so I visited the Griz (I know I'm not supposed to use this name in the same thread with the these others) showroom and picked the 21" 531. So far it has performed perfectly. I really wanted the Agazanni, as I have this thing for Italians with a slender waist and a nice set of wheels, but for my level of use I couldn't justify the $$$$ and fortunately the Gword was been a good choice.

Ciao, JCB.

Thats blasphemey! (sp?);)

John Shuk
12-28-2008, 6:15 PM
I have a Laguna LT16 and wouldn't dream of buying from them again. Customer support (which I needed) was shockingly bad in my case.
I really can't think of a thread where a Minimax owner had a problem that couldn't be resolved with all parties walking away happy.
That said If I had to do it over again and given the number of models that are now available as opposed to when I bought I'd be calling Shiraz and be spending less money than I did on the Laguna. I have used the 18 inch Delta and a large Jet and I can honestly say that they would have done all that I need. I think Grizzly has put alot of effort into making great machines over the past few years.
Given what I have read and seen from Grizzly and there commitment to the changing market and customer here on the Creek I would not hesitate to buy from them.

Doug Shepard
12-28-2008, 6:49 PM
The table on the MM16 is heavy enough that a geared trunnion would be pretty sweet. I've used the bump/pray method with the lock holding it but not tight and it works pretty good. Out of curiousity, I took a parallel jaw clamp and reversed the head into spreader mode and used it to do the fine adjust for moving the table. I think if I were going to be switching between straight and angled cuts a lot, hooking one of those to the side of an MM16 or a large screw & handwheel would make angle adjustments less prayer-worthy.

...I know I'm not supposed to use this name in the same thread with the these others...

Doesn't your tongue hurt when you do that?:D

David Cramer
12-28-2008, 7:06 PM
Even though it's not the OP question, I have to ask........................

.............Every time the name Laguna comes up, more times than not I hear the words bad customer service. Why the heck don't they fix what's wrong?

How can you run a company that big with all of the competition that exists today in this market/economy and continue to have complaints about customer service? Please don't compare to other companies and industry problems. Laguna is laguna.

Even though I have yet (still) to buy a bandsaw, I will be doing so one day and it surely won't be a Laguna. Grizzly has obviously turned it around in the last few years, but Laguna continues to get bad reviews on customer service. What a shame.

David

p.s. I am not, I repeat not, trying to start problems. I am just blown away that they continue to have complaints about bad customer service.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-28-2008, 7:20 PM
Good point David.

I posted a negative about their service, but it was from 2 years ago or so. I also bought a fence from them, which went smoothly. Maybe they have turned it around in the mean time?

John Stan
12-28-2008, 8:07 PM
Arnold,
I just got finished with the same analysis you are going through. I looked at the Aggazani, MM, and Laguna. In the end, I decided on the Grizzly G0636X for the following reasons:

- 17 inch wheels vs 16 inch
- Heaver overall 650 vs 530 LBS
- The wheels are heavier on the G0636X by 5 lbs each
- The table is larger and heavier on the G0636X

Because of the CS issues, I did not give Laguna any serious consideration.

In the end, I concluded that for me the Griz was as good as the MM and a bit cheaper. Folks, don't get jumpy, I am not saying any of the saws are better than the other. I just chose the Griz. In the one month that I have owned it, I have been happy. Using a 1 inch timberwolf blade, as a test, I resawed veneer a tad heavier than 1/32 with almost non existant saw marks. I have used it on a couple of projects, mostly resawing ebony, birdseye maple, cherry, and walnut. It handled all those tasks just fine. The fit and finish on my saw is outstanding, as good as or better than any other power tool, that I have used.

I am sure that all the saws you are condsidering would perform outstanding. Ping me if you have any questions on the Griz.

Arnold E Schnitzer
12-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Well I did it! After taking everything into consideration, I just ordered the Laguna LT18. A machinist/guitar maker friend of world reknown told me there is no better guide system than Laguna's, and that he has been very happy with his machine over 10 years, with no problems. This recommendation, along with the features and the great deal I was offered, got my wallet open. I am a little concerned about their customer service, so I have my fingers crossed in that regard. Guys, thanks so much for your input. Now if I can just get rid of this 16" Jet...

Jim Becker
12-29-2008, 5:14 PM
Congratulations on your band saw purchase, Arnold. You'll really enjoy having a big, heavy machine. And don't discount the extra height even when you are doing small cutting...that head room also provides nice, unobstructed vison.

Lee Hingle
12-30-2008, 12:25 AM
To add to Jim's comment about the headroom:

The larger saw wheels will place the table a tad higher - another plus. I have used a LT16HD at Lonnie Bird's school and he has the saw up on a low platform to raise the table height to a comfortable level.

Lee

Rick Fisher
12-30-2008, 2:27 AM
I have been waiting for almost 6 weeks for parts from Mini-Max Canada. The parts are a wheel kit and a table insert for a MM-24.

These are not complicated or rare parts.

The first round of parts took 5-6 weeks. That was an acrylic knob and a brake pedal.

I find them quick about getting me quotes on new machinery but order parts and you feel like an inconvenience.

I cant see myself ever purchasing new Mini-Max or SCMI machinery in Canada. I have a purchased from Felder and find them the exact opposite.

Mike Heidrick
12-30-2008, 3:41 AM
Looks like you bought an awesome saw. Congrats.

Allen Koriakin
12-30-2008, 4:26 AM
I dream about your dilemma all the time. Both machines are incredible and most people that own them never come close to maximizing there features. I would look for whomever has the best deal at the time. Good luck on your purchase.

Guy Belleman
12-30-2008, 7:16 AM
I have the 17" saw and am very happy with it. It does everything I have wanted it to, and surprised me on how well the machine is designed for the user. Now, I wasn't looking for the amount of resaw capability you are, but you should at least look at the 19 & 21" saws. I am sure they will fit your requirements and save you some money to buy a couple of good blades.

Guy

John Bailey
12-30-2008, 8:31 AM
Congratulations on your new saw. My neighber has one of the older models. I've used it and find it to be a great machine.

John

Arnold E Schnitzer
12-30-2008, 8:49 AM
I have the 17" saw and am very happy with it. It does everything I have wanted it to, and surprised me on how well the machine is designed for the user. Now, I wasn't looking for the amount of resaw capability you are, but you should at least look at the 19 & 21" saws. I am sure they will fit your requirements and save you some money to buy a couple of good blades.

Guy

Yes, I looked at the Grizzly saws and it seems they have come a long way. However, my bandsaw work is critical, and I use extremely valuable woods. So I have been stuck on getting a European saw, rather than an Asian one. And Laguna's ceramic guides seem to me to be the right way for me to go. That said, Grizzly is in my sights for a thickness sander upgrade. Thanks for your input!

Robert Bailey
01-05-2009, 12:52 PM
I bought 16HD, still enjoy using it. I called in for some tech advice, and wow I got it. After all the people posting here I thought I was doomed. Wasn't anything to getting the support. Just got to rem to ask for tech support and you need help. If they need to call you back let them; if it takes longer than I say lunch break worth of time call back and let them know taking to long. Most of the support online and the DVD that they send you is very good. I live in the USA and I want a Baldor motor. One I can trust and worry free. If you feel you need a deal on a bandsaw look at all the used ones on the market. Ebay , IRSauction.com and plenty more if you just look. Give people a chance and you find better help. hope you find something I said useful__

Arnold E Schnitzer
01-08-2009, 7:27 PM
My new 18 arrived today. A friend and I moved and assembled it. First impression is of a heavy-duty nicely-made pro machine. Unfortunately I could not start it up because Laguna does not provide a power cord! So it's off to the store in the morning.

Ted Shrader
01-08-2009, 7:31 PM
Arnold -

Congratulations on your new saw. After the power is hooked up let us know what you think. (Pictures, too! :) :) )

Regards,
Ted

Doug Shepard
01-08-2009, 7:45 PM
My new 18 arrived today. A friend and I moved and assembled it. ...

Pictures? What pictures??:confused::D

Jim Becker
01-08-2009, 9:45 PM
Unfortunately I could not start it up because Laguna does not provide a power cord!

This is normal for industrial equipment. You would be in the same position with the MiniMax saw in that respect.

Congrats on your new saw! Enjoy...

Dave Malen
01-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Arnold,
You might want to get the driftmaster fence that Laguna makes. Incredible accuracy. (unless your saw already comes with it).
Dave

William OConnell
01-08-2009, 10:22 PM
My new 18 arrived today. A friend and I moved and assembled it. First impression is of a heavy-duty nicely-made pro machine. Unfortunately I could not start it up because Laguna does not provide a power cord! So it's off to the store in the morning.

Do yourself a favor and put a long piece of SJ chord on it.
Mines about 30' on my MM and Im glad its there quite often

Mike Wilkins
01-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Congrats on getting the Laguna Arnold. I have been the proud owner of a
LT18 since '01 and not a single problem. Mine is the original version with the
12" resaw capacity, and an upgrade to the ceramic guides. These are sweet.
I would not hesitate to buy from Laguna again, and currently looking at one of their sliding tablesaws now.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

Arnold E Schnitzer
01-09-2009, 6:41 PM
I got it wired up and running this afternoon. Boy, that lower guide adjustment is a bear! Anyway, my initial impression is of tremendous power and rigidity. I have a 3/8 x 6 blade on it and I made a few curved and straight cuts which came out smooth and with no blade drift. Next on the buy list is a good resaw blade. As far as pics, I have no idea how to do that. Sorry...

Eric Sayre
01-12-2009, 1:42 AM
Arnold,

Congratulations on the new bandsaw! I purchased the Laguna LT18 earlier this year despite all the horror stories I read about customer service a few years ago. It looks like they are trying real hard to change all that. They've been really great to me.

After you've used that thing for the first hour, tighten the belt one more time. You should be good to go after that. It's really an incredible machine compared to everything else in my shop.

Enjoy!

Eric