PDA

View Full Version : Your new Ideas or next Projects!!

Butch Spears
12-28-2008, 6:19 AM
I think most people are like myself (especially this time of year) We see all the projects that others come up with and make as gifts. People gravitate to things that they are comfortable building or things that they see. It always tweeks my ideas,seeing everyone's great projects this time of year. I get this idea or see a project and think I want to build one of those.

So what have you seen or thought of ? That you have put on your long list of , (I am going to build one of those)

My list got longer, I am adding to the top of my list, Wall clocks for my grown kids and jewelery and music boxes for Grandaughters. There were some great ones shown this year.

Start the New Years Resolution ( I am going to build that) list below.

"Happy New Years to all"

Rich Engelhardt
12-28-2008, 7:55 AM
Hello,

In store for 2009:
- Learning how to setup, use and maintain a hand plane and/or planes.
- Cabinet doors.
- Drawers.

Gene Howe
12-28-2008, 8:10 AM
After several kitchens, I'm done. No more architectural pieces, either. I'm on to more challenging pieces. Toys, boxes, and intarsia.;)

John Keeton
12-28-2008, 8:38 AM
Short list includes:
Get to know my newly acquired Domino.
Learn to efficiently handcut dovetails (I realize this Neander concept does not go with the previous statement.)
Continue to weed out the accumulated junk in my shop and organize.
Continue to search for and locate new sources for wood.

Long list includes:
Start, and finish before next hunting season, a walnut table base and stepback hutch top.
Continue to work on my addictive obsession with tools!!

Ray Schafer
12-28-2008, 10:51 AM
First, I am finishing a desk for my daughter (which I have shown in other posts).

Here is my list after that:

Finish my Phil Thien separator and baffle for my DC
Add a shelf in the top of the pantry
Build two small shelf units for my daughter's room
Build a shoe shelf for my wife's closet
Build this mobile stand for my MS: http://www.woodstore.net/mobmitcen.html
This storage unit above my existing cabinets: http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/17772/
build the Kreg Router Table
Build this mudroom locker: http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18356/

Jim Becker
12-28-2008, 11:13 AM
2009 projects will likely include a buffet for our great room, a dresser/media stand for the master bed room to match the purpleheart and tiger maple night stands, a media storage center for the media room and maybe...just maybe...a new dining table for the great room, too. I suspect I'll be building a few more tack trunks, too...the one I built for "us" is getting a lot of attention.

As to skills, I have an desire to gain more experience with my hand planes and other Neander tools. As such, my projects will include them more than ever.

Edit: Almost forgot...I want to get the larger part of my lumber storage moved upstairs in the shop building to free up space and be more efficient. And I want to get that done while it's cold/cool outside.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Great thread! Good ideas always wake the muses. I hope to finish the cabinets for the shop, cheating here as I think I can get them done in 08. Plan to build a stand for the SCMS that uses the big BS's table for outfeed. Those two projects should help get stuff out of the way of the Felder. I hope.

After that the fun begins, a dresser for my 6 month old daughter, a reloading bench, a table for my wifes sewing room, two toy boxes, and maybe a new dining set. I haven't built chairs before, so looking forward to that.

My work will seriously hinder progress in the shop from May to November as well, so I need to get on with it.

Oh, if things where to work out just right, I may put up a new shop.

Chris Ricker
12-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Starting (today) on a new cradle for #2 grandchild due in June:)
chess board for lil' brother's b-day in April,
I have my eye on some beautiful mission/ craftsman furniture projects I've seen posted here that would go great in the family room!!

Narayan Nayar
12-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Congrats, Chris!

My list is a bit like a Netflix queue. I work on something until it's done, then move on. Might take me 6 months, might take me a weekend. But either way, no late fees. :)

The list right now:

A wall cabinet for my photography equipment
Some end tables for the family room
A handtool cabinet for the shop
picture frames
a gardening sink
misc stuff for my son

Skills I want to acquire:

Obtain a deeper understanding of finishing techniques
Veneering
Fewer right angles, more curves
Continued improvement of handtool skills

I've already promised myself that other than the existing commitments I have on tool manufacturer's waitlists, this year's woodshop expenditures will only be supplies. And maybe some veneering equipment... :)

Gary Lange
12-28-2008, 12:25 PM
My plans are to get the Dust Collector and install that.
Get a Milwaukee 3-1/2hp Router and build the cabinet doors.
Decide how I want the wall space I have to be used.
Build and assembly table Torsion Box.
I hope then to actually build something like a simple coffee table maybe.

John Keeton
12-28-2008, 1:17 PM
I've already promised myself that other than the existing commitments I have on tool manufacturer's waitlists, this year's woodshop expenditures will only be supplies. And maybe some veneering equipment... :)
Narayan, making statements like this is kinda like saying "never say never!":D

My problem, and I do have one, is that temptation awaits in the next catalogue from Lee Valley, the next post someone makes on the creek about a neat new tool, the next TV show showing a new tool, the sun rising tomorrow.... well, you get the idea. I have only vowed to fight the problem, not conquer it!

Robert Parrish
12-28-2008, 1:37 PM
I just finished two major projects so I thought I would spend a couple of weeks improving my shop and doing maintenance on all my power tools. I also need to build several shop cabinets, revamp my DC. I also need to rearrange the shop again to get a better flow. If I could move my wife's car out of one bay then I would have a 1000 sq ft plus a finishing room. Good luck on that.

Narayan Nayar
12-28-2008, 2:55 PM
Narayan, making statements like this is kinda like saying "never say never!"

Yeah, I know. So I have a wide definition for the word "supply". :)

Bob Slater
12-28-2008, 3:01 PM
Take a course in welding, cut a hole in my floor and lower it to accomodate an automotive hoist (Nervous about this one, any advice appreciated). Put a skylight in the shop that opens electrically, Pour a flat floor in the woodshop, finish installing ductwork for the DC, Fine tune the heating system, Build a fold down welding table. Make a couple of window frames in Cherry. Make an outfeed table and island around my table saw and incorporate a router station in it. It seems all my projects are made around finishing my shop. What will be my purpose when it is done???

Dave Verstraete
12-28-2008, 3:12 PM
PROJECTS

Mount the Wixey planer gauge on my Grizzly G0453Z
In the immediate future, I need to finish a dovetailed cherry blanket chest for the our bedroom.
Finish Jake's closet organizer. We still have to make the shelves and shoe rack. Then mount them at his place in his bedroom closet.
Help Jake, Dave and Thomas build their own handplane using a Hock Blade that they received from me for Christmas
Make an outfeed table for the Sawstop.
It never ends, does it? That's a good thing!!

Lee Koepke
12-28-2008, 8:13 PM
Hello all.
Its been awhile since my last visit. In the last 4 months my wife and I have opened a brand new retail establishment......what an adventure. Just about all my tools, except my Grizzly TS are still parked at the store.

My list is pretty simple.....

I owe a good friend of mine a cutting board
I owe my wife a cherry book shelf

If I survive that, I will tackle a new entertainment center / fireplace surround, but they may devolved into an '10 project !!

Hope everyone is working hard at your lists !!!

Sonny Edmonds
12-28-2008, 8:26 PM
Going to make a head board for our bed. Have the materials on hand, been tinkerin in the shop off and on today cleaning and refining some stuff.
And a week ago we was told a Great Grandchild is in the oven.
So that Cradle Idear up yonder has got me rubbin my unshaved chin. I've got some special stock I've been waiting for an occasion to spark me into using....

Doggone it! Why you gotta go and start a durned thread like this for?
Now I've got to get busy. :D

Karl Brogger
12-28-2008, 9:36 PM
I had hopes of finishing my basement this coming year. Unlikely though, just too much money in material and hardware to swallow at this point. I may get it to sheat rock and paint, but just not bother with the trimming or the cabinetry, or the barrel vault I want to do.

Joe Chritz
12-28-2008, 9:55 PM
Build:

Corner shelf units for breakfast nook
Clothes hampers (kid project with me :D) x3
Entertainment center
TV stand/dresser
Desk hutch for the kids new computer desks (also a kid project)
Desk for the office

Shop:

Tune bandsaw and get it running well.
New table saw (yeah funny one)
More Wood storage
Assorted little projects

That should get me through 2012 :D.

Joe

Chip Lindley
12-28-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm DUN making for others for a while, with small exceptions!

1) I will be cutting apart, and resawing my former entrance door, retaining the raised panels, to make an heirloom toybox for my 2 yo grandson.
2) my own master bath remodel!
3) my own new cherry/granite kitchen remodel!
4) restoring all the *junk* machinery clogging my shop space!!
Boice-Crane oscillating spindle sander
Rockwell 12" RAS
Delta/Milwaukee HD shaper
Grizzly 24" drum sander conveyor bearing rebuild
Atlas 12" metal lathe rebuild

LORD Give me Strength in my Retirement!!