PDA

View Full Version : Chuck rust - how to prevent?

Peter Gregory
12-28-2008, 1:44 AM
What is the solution for putting something on your chucks to prevent rust? Normally, I just wax everything. Any problems doing that with a chuck?

TIA

Jeff Nicol
12-28-2008, 8:19 AM
Peter, I have not had any trouble with rust on any of my chucks. I do get some goo and sap and such on them from turning green and from some of the finishes I use. Two of my chucks are chrome plated so good protection and the other is just black and shows not rust at all. I guess too, I use them all the time and they are wiped down, blown off with air etc so that might help.

Post a picture and that will help!

Happy New Year!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Peter, I use a Oneway Talon and have wire brushed the jaws many times to remove built up gunk. A few times I have noticed a slight rust build up on the screw heads and after wire brushing the area, apply a light coat of SC Johnson paste wax. It's never been a big concern as I am using the chuck all the time and do what I can to keep it clean and dry.

Peter Gregory
12-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys. Nice to hear that the round side uses wax too. :)

Happy New Year!

Paul Engle
12-29-2008, 2:03 PM
Mostly I quit using water to wash it down with.....;) ... but I hear paste wax helps:eek:
ya know ah just could not resist...:D

Peter Gregory
12-29-2008, 8:08 PM
I was interested if you could wax a chuck. Since you are dealing with a MT friction fitting, it could be that putting a lubricant in there, might not be the best idea.

Dean Thomas
12-30-2008, 10:30 AM
One neglected area might be under the jaws. I have an old, original Nova that I had not used for months. I don't use the CarbaTec that it belongs to much at all any more.

I had cause to use the chuck but had to switch jaws. Discovered that whatever the last wood used was left small chips and dust under the jaws, compacted against the scroll mechanism & chuck body. That dust and the moisture it held were enough to cause some surface rust.

Cleaned it up, shined it up, waxed it up, and put it back in its box until next time...

Harvey Schneider
12-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Rust needs to be totally removed or neutralized. If you seal rust in with a layer of wax or any other sealant, the rust will continue like a cancer to consume the solid metal around it.
There are techniques like electrolytic conversion of the rust, chemicals that dissolve the rust, and chemicals that convert the rust into a stable form.