PDA

View Full Version : Critique and Suggestions Requested

Ken Vonk
12-27-2008, 10:42 PM
I bought some Dunno Burl...lol.... and made this bowl this weekend. What do you think of the bowl and of the pedestal? There is no finish on this piece yet. The bowl is 5 3/4" in diameter and it's 5 1/2" tall over all. The bowl is made of some kind of burl that the wood sales couldn't identify and the pedestal is Wenge.

Thanks for looking and for your suggestions.

Ken

David Christopher
12-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Beautiful bowl and wood. think the foot could be a little bigger but I like it anyway

Dave

Chip Sutherland
12-28-2008, 12:26 AM
Nice shape on the bowl. I agree with David's comment on the foot of the pedestal. I usually think the foot should be 1/3 the diameter of the bowl's diameter. That's just a rule of thumb. So folks will say 1/2 the diameter but when I see one, I always feel that 1/2 makes a heavy foot.

Jeff Nicol
12-28-2008, 8:32 AM
Ken, First the shape of the bowl is great, but as already said the foot needs to be bigger. It looks like it would tip easily.

The burl looks to me like maple or myrtle. What kind of smell did it have when you were turning it? Maple burls in my experience have a sweet smell and myrtle has a sharper cleaner smell, almost like a camphor smell. Can't think of a good description for it! Nice burl and very dense not many voids or inclusions.

Keep on turning!

Have a Happy New Year!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Ken - any chance of another photo displaying a little of the inside of the bowl? I am curious as to thickness of the bowl portion. Beautiful wood for sure!

As far as the foot - if this piece was meant to be functional, then a slightly larger foot would not be out of liner. If it is intended more as an display/art/show piece, then it works as is.

What do you plan to use as far as a finish?

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Great looking bowl. I agree with Steve if it is a art piece the pedestal is fine but if it is to be used well I would either leave it off or go bigger.

Ken Vonk
12-28-2008, 2:55 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The bowl is 5 3/4" in diameter and the foot is 2" in diameter. That makes the foot just a little over 1/3 of the bowl's diameter. The idea behind the shape was to have this piece look like a trophy cup. Something that might be given for winning 1st place, so the function would be to collect dust...lol. The burl is not any maple or myrtle I have seen or worked with. It's quite a bit more yellow than maple and had no smell while turning or sanding. It was harder on my tools than anything I have turned to date (which is not much :-). I had to sharpen my gouge at least three times per side just to rough the bowl. The bowl is about 1/4" thick. I'll try to get a picture of the inside right after I wipe it down with mineral spirits to show off the color.

Ken

Ken Vonk
12-28-2008, 3:25 PM
Here are a couple of photos of the bowl and the left over burl.

Thanks for looking.

Ken

Greg Ketell
12-28-2008, 3:28 PM
I agree that the foot looks too small for the bowl. The other thing that hits me is that the bowl is all beautiful soft curves and most of the pedestal is too but there are just a couple of sharp edges on the pedestal. Those look out of place to me.