PDA

View Full Version : Biesey-style fence squareness to table-help please. (Long)

Clisby Clark
12-27-2008, 10:35 PM
So I'm trying to finish setting up the new General 650. I think I've got it all done then after installing the fence, I notice it's not square to the saw table. Figuring I've done something wrong, I take the rails back off and do the "hockey stick shuffle" with the supplied jig (I realize one hole is misbored so I have to do some "wallerin' out"). I put it back together and find I'm still out-about 3/32 over the height of the fence. This time, I check the fence and find out that the fence is out of square (by the same amount and the same direction) with its metal "runner" which rides on top of the tube rail. Could someone who has a fence of this nature please check to make sure the fence should be square with its runner? I don't believe there is any adjustment for squaring the fence other than maybe filing down the plastic rub strip on the bottom, but I'm going to call General first. Thanks for the help!

Joe Scharle
12-28-2008, 9:18 AM
When I got my zip saw I had to try 3 fences. The one that came with the saw was a 'leaner'. Second had the cursor holes drilled wrong and a slight hook. Third was a charm. Good news was that Beise was very helpful. Contact them.

Larry Edgerton
12-28-2008, 11:42 AM
My Biesmeyers are adjustable, but damned if I can remember how. I adjusted them when I set them up, but I have had them both for over 25 years. Or maybe it was the Unifence? No, I am sure I adjusted them. I lost power at the shop today in this storm or I would run up there and look. Its dark and scarry in there.....Sorry

Mark Carlson
12-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Clisby,

My General 650 fence leaned slighting into the blade. 3/32 seems like alot. I put a piece of blue tape on the left side plastic rub strip. I could have filed off the rub strip on the right.

I went out and checked my runner to fence angle and it was pretty much 90 degrees. You might need a new fence if yours is way off otherwise you'd need to do a lot of shimming to correct.

~mark

Larry Edgerton
12-28-2008, 1:03 PM
OK. I was bored so I ran up to the shop with a flashlight and it was as I expected. Both fences are adjustable. If you flip the fence over, on the crosspeice that is welded to the fence, the one that rides in the rail, there are two allen screws. This is your adjustment. It may look as if they hold on the piece with the friction material, but that is welded in the center, and the allens push on this for adjustments, both for squareness and for clamping force. If your lever is too loose you can turn them both in equally to bring the clamping point up, or just turn one to correct for squareness.

Larry, with no power....

Disclaimer: Mine are both original Beismeyers made before there were copys, have no idea what the clones have as far as adjustment. Seldom do products get better when made in China.:(

Larry Edgerton
12-28-2008, 2:20 PM
I think I may have misinterpreted what your problem is. I thought you were out of parallel to the blade, but you are talking about the right angle to the surface of the top?

If so I have nothing for you......

Sonny Edmonds
12-28-2008, 4:16 PM
Here Larry, I'll give you some pictures for your text. ;)

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/table_saw/biese_lock5.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/table_saw/biese_lock4.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/images/table_saw/biese_lock1.jpg

I've checked mine seven ways from Sunday and never had to adjust it, besides 1/4 of one turn on each set screw to make it a touch tighter when it was brand new. Its always been as close to perfect as I can tell.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Clisby,
Don't know why the fence on your general would have it's rail out of square. And sure can't tell from this distance.
Call General and find out there before you do anything else. DO NOT modify anything or you could void your entire warranty.
It is very likely you missed a step during assembly, or used the wrong washers during assembly (if applicable).
Or the piece may well be bent from shipment. Ever so slightly maybe, but bent all the same.
Things ain't rite. Figure out why. :)

Ed Bamba
12-28-2008, 4:47 PM
Does your Bies-style fence have a means for removing the face? The original doesn't come that way. If so, maybe you can shim between the removable face and the metal tube. Is the problem on both sides of the fence?