PDA

View Full Version : Using Watco Golden Oak Danish Oil

Jeff Haag
12-27-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm somewhat new to woodworking and having a problem with my finish on a project. I made a cabinet out of red oak. I was using Watco golden oak danish oil for the finish. I've read how fool-proof this finish is. So I follow the instructions and apply, let stand for 20-30 min. , then wipe off. The body of my cabinet turned out a perfect golden oak. The door on the otherhand is more of a deeper redish tone. I can't believe the difference. Is there anything I can do to even out this color differences between the two.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Howard Acheson
12-28-2008, 1:44 PM
Is it possible that one part of the cabinet is solid wood and the other is plywood? That could account for the differing way in which the wood accepted the stain. Also, there are a great number of sub-species of "red oak". Each will stain somewhat differently differently

Jeff Haag
12-28-2008, 6:23 PM
Actually the woods are both solid. When I picked out the lumber I tried to get similar pieces. I guess maybe I'm being to picky. But when you see a picture of your project in woodsmith magazine theirs looks perfect.

Steve Schoene
12-28-2008, 6:53 PM
What happens to scraps of each wood when you wet it with mineral spirits? That's the likely culprit.

It is very hard to lighten the color of the darker toned wood. That means you would be best off darkening the lighter wood. You could try--on scrap treated the same as the piece is so far--another coat of Watco, but this time the "cherry" or perhaps red mahogany. Having already been sealed by the first coat, it won't have nearly as big a color effect. If you are lucky it will pull the colors together enough to be satisfactory. You may need to dilute the Watco if it wants to make to large a color change.

Any chance you can remake the door with the same wood as on the body?

Jeff Haag
12-28-2008, 7:10 PM
Actually I Had enough of the same wood for the whole project. But in the process of making the raised panel on my table saw I made a mistake and had to scrap it.
I'm going to try the idea of using the red mahogany.
Thanks for the advise.