PDA

View Full Version : Christmas wood and fear

Ron Lynch
12-27-2008, 8:24 PM
After reading the posts about near disasters the last couple days I was almost afraid to turn the spinner on today, but I got a couple pieces of wood from the kids for Xmas and the temp today was almost 6o (unheated garage shop) so I had to try. Made one small bowl, about 4" x 2" Bubinga. Everybody keep safe out there.

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2008, 8:39 PM
Very nice bowl Ron! Real rich color and nice form!

I have to think that the idea behind the safety posts is just a reminder to watch what we do and pay attention while we are turning. Like anything out there - there are consequences for our actions and in this 'hobby' some of those consequences can be downright dangerous. I wouldn't be afraid of anything - just have a healthy respect for the forces involved during turning.

Have fun with it! Be safe! Enjoy the warmth while you have it!

Jim Koepke
12-27-2008, 8:46 PM
Hey, I am a newbie at this and most of my instruction has come from right here in the Creek.

I am scared to heck about the possibilities. Wish my lathe would turn a little slower and a bunch of other things.

But, that has caused me to think about what I am doing and trying to approach it all with caution and both eyes toward being safe about what is being done.

Hopefully with that and a few angels watching over me, it will all turn out for the good.

jim

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Great looking bowl Ron. Well done. I agree with Steve don't be afraid of turning or the machine. It is just like with any machine keep your senses about you, pay attention to detail and respect the machine. My granddad told me one time while I was helping him build a cabinet. He said if if doesn't feel good or doesn't look right. Stop and think about it.

Jim Kountz
12-28-2008, 12:49 AM
Really nice grain and color, I like this one!!

robert hainstock
12-28-2008, 7:12 AM
Nice piece of wood, and a nice end product. :)
Bob

Remember out there, Stand out of the line of fire.

Jeff Nicol
12-28-2008, 7:39 AM
Ron, As one of the living legends of disasters relating to the lathe, I was back at it the very next day! Just like anything that can hurt you a healthy respect and a little fear is a good thing! I have learned the hard way and hope by sharing my experience others will keep a little respect for there tools always in the forfront of their thoughts while working with them. Just like it is always said about fast cars, guns, explosives, beautiful women and machinery a little fear will save you in the end!

Great job on the gift turning blank! It is great that your family is helping to slide farther and farther into the VORTEX!

Have a happy new year and keep the lathe spinning!

Jeff