PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly 513x2B Bandsaw with motor brake

Dave Lehnert
12-27-2008, 7:37 PM
The new Grizzly catalog has the new 513x2b bandsaw with a motor brake. Says it will stop the blade in 3 seconds. How does a motor brake work? Is it like a brake on a power miter saw? How reliable is this type of system? Would seem to be worth the extra $200 but not if it is something that may be a problem. Any thoughts?

Dave Lehnert
12-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Bump......

Jason Beam
12-28-2008, 11:17 PM
hmm ... i just got my x2 - i kinda wish it had a break, too. dang!

I'm hoping to hear some responses from those with experience on these, too. I've never used one myself.

Andy Casiello
12-29-2008, 12:04 AM
hmm ... i just got my x2 - i kinda wish it had a break, too. dang!

I'm hoping to hear some responses from those with experience on these, too. I've never used one myself.

Same here. I know a bunch of us bought 513x2's during the MS cashback peak. I wonder if there is some type of retrofit possible?

Dave Lehnert
12-29-2008, 8:07 PM
Same here. I know a bunch of us bought 513x2's during the MS cashback peak. I wonder if there is some type of retrofit possible?

On your 0513x2, do you find the lack of a brake a problem. How long does it take for the blade to stop after the power is cut?

Jason Beam
12-29-2008, 8:10 PM
With the cast iron wheels, it can take a goodly amount of time to spin down. I'm not sure it's a problem, really. Only once or twice have I cut power and then wished i'd left it running for the next cut. But having the break sure seems handy if you need to stop things in a hurry - like if the blade snaps.

Overall, I don't think i'll miss it, but i'd kinda like it if i had it. I also have a 14" jet that doesn't take nearly as long. Those cast iron wheels are spinny buggers once ya get 'em spinnin' :P

Dave Lehnert
12-29-2008, 8:22 PM
With the cast iron wheels, it can take a goodly amount of time to spin down. I'm not sure it's a problem, really. Only once or twice have I cut power and then wished i'd left it running for the next cut. But having the break sure seems handy if you need to stop things in a hurry - like if the blade snaps.

Overall, I don't think i'll miss it, but i'd kinda like it if i had it. I also have a 14" jet that doesn't take nearly as long. Those cast iron wheels are spinny buggers once ya get 'em spinnin' :P

Thanks!

I would like to know more about the workings of a motor brake. How it works and if it is something reliable or will cause problems.

Jason Beam
12-29-2008, 9:37 PM
Me too!! :D

I forgot to mention the actual time ... I haven't sat there with a stopwatch, but i'd say it takes 20-25 seconds to fully spin down with a 3/4" blade on it.

Roger Warford
12-29-2008, 9:55 PM
I've only had my 513x2 for a couple of weeks (one of many to cash in on the cashback :D), but I have found a couple of times that I would have very much liked a brake. Had a couple of times when I needed to back out of a kerf to change direction - seemed like I had to wait forever for the blade to stop. Perhaps better cut planning on my part will minimize those cases.

Alan Tolchinsky
12-29-2008, 11:24 PM
In my opinion it's always better to brake a spinning blade to a stop. It's easy to forget about that moving blade ,especially with hearing protection on , and have an accident during that spin down period. I have a brake on my BS and tried using it with the spin down method just to save on brake wear. I decided the safety issue wasn't worth saving any brake wear.

Dave Lehnert
12-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Me too!! :D

I forgot to mention the actual time ... I haven't sat there with a stopwatch, but i'd say it takes 20-25 seconds to fully spin down with a 3/4" blade on it.

WOW! That is a long time.

Andy Casiello
12-30-2008, 12:14 AM
On your 0513x2, do you find the lack of a brake a problem. How long does it take for the blade to stop after the power is cut?

Yes, I agree with Jason's estimate of 20-25 seconds. Those big wheels have a lot of inertia in them and they spin freely for quite a while. A brake would be nice to have on this unit.

Jason Beam
12-30-2008, 12:17 AM
I wonder if a sufficiently motivated soul might use that 2nd pulley on the wheel for such a thing? I don't foresee ever slowing my saw down for anything so that extra sheave might provide interesting potential. A scrap of v-belt fastened (solidly!) to a lever that would increase the pressure? not sure I like having it float there while in use, though. A sufficiently motivated soul might be able to come up with a better way - maybe with an idler wheel and a break shoe?

Dave Lehnert
12-30-2008, 12:26 AM
A push lawn mower has something like that to stop the engine when you let go of the safety handle. Has a small metal strap that goes around the flywheel that acts as a brake. Seems like something like that could be engineered on the saw somehow.

Rod Sheridan
12-30-2008, 9:06 AM
There are two common methods of braking an induction motor.

The most common is a mechanical brake actuated by a solenoid or motor rotor displacement. These types of brakes can provide continuous braking without electrical power via the brake assembly springs.

A second fairly common braking approach is to apply low power direct current to the induction motor for a few seconds. This effectively converts it into an alternator driving a short circuit. The mechanical energy is converted to heat energy in the rotor. This type of braking cannot provide any holding force, such as would be available with a mechanical brake.

regards, Rod.

Greg Cole
12-30-2008, 11:38 AM
If it's the style of motor that doesn't need you to adjust the brakes every "X" number of stops, it's a good idea. If the motor brake stops to work properly due to brake wear and you need to adjust them, I'd prefer a good old foot pedal. Any safety device can and will eventually fail, or so I was told in hunter safety... not bad advice really.
Griz CS should be able to tell you if the motor has manually adjusted brakes on the motor or not.
I have the 0513X2 and a footbrake would "be nice" but I obviously get by without.

Peter Quadarella
12-30-2008, 1:30 PM
I saw the G0513X2B at the IWF in Atlanta. It is not a foot brake, but instead it automatically brakes everytime you turn it off (not manually activated). It would be very nice to have a brake on my G0513X2 - whether it is worth the extra money is up to your budget I guess. I seem to remember some other differences though, but I can't remember exactly. Hopefully Grizzly will fix their links soon and we can compare there.

Jason Beam
12-30-2008, 9:18 PM
A friend of mine's Euro-style table saw has that kind of brake. You hit the power button and the blade stops in 2 seconds. It's really nifty and I sure would like a saw with that. Someday!

C Thomas Schneider
12-19-2009, 9:01 AM
I just purchased the G0513X2B and I have turned off the saw both with the brake (magnetic on the motor shaft) and without - what a difference! It is nice that when you hit the stop button it is automatic. Also, there is a nice touch on the cast iron wheels - the spokes are bear head outlines! Kinda cute...

Doug Carpenter
12-19-2009, 9:21 AM
I don't know for sure but I would think if it is anything like a chopsaw brake the worst thing that could happen is that it would stop working. I had a chop saw that after many years it started braking or nor braking once in a while then eventually stopped braking at all. But the saw still worked with out it. It was probrably fixable but smoke came out of the motor housing one day and we all took our hats off and said goodbye to an old friend!

glenn bradley
12-19-2009, 10:21 AM

I have a smaller saw that I use for most curvy stuff and quick cut-offs so waiting (I never timed it) about a minute(?) for the blade to stop hasn't bothered me. I just walk away.

The only time I wait for the blade to stop while in use is if I want to back up. The friction of the blade being in the cut slows the movement in a reasonable time so again, it has not been an issue for me.

As a safety feature in the event of a mishap? I could see that. Then again, I am probably missing the whole benefit of the brake entirely (this happens :)). Without trying top thread-jack, why do you folks who use them, use them?

Frank Hill
12-19-2009, 10:38 AM
At 51, waiting for 20-25 seconds is nothing anymore. Now when I was in my twenties, it seemed like an eternity. Blade brakes on band saw as well lawn mowers are just something extra to spend money on to fix once they break or wear out.

Rod Sheridan
12-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Boy, these old threads seem to come back:D

IN EU countries, blade brakes are required by code.............Something that will probably happen in North America in a few years.

Aside from Sawstop, we always seem to be on the trailing edge of safety innovations.

Regards, Rod.

Josiah Bartlett
12-20-2009, 4:10 AM

It's perfectly ok with the motor if you just turn it back on while it is still coasting.

Rick Fisher
12-20-2009, 5:37 AM
Boy, these old threads seem to come back:D

IN EU countries, blade brakes are required by code.............Something that will probably happen in North America in a few years.

Aside from Sawstop, we always seem to be on the trailing edge of safety innovations.

Regards, Rod.

My Jointer has a motor brake.. it still takes about 3-4 seconds to stop.. It also locks the cutterhead when not running, with the same blade always at the top.. no idea how it works.. The motor is made by CEG.. they are sold in North America..

I believe in most Euro Countries, code is any 10hp motor or larger must have a certain quality of motor brake.. That is the reason that 9hp is so popular on Euro Machinery..

The 9hp usually have brakes as well, but 10hp or above needs to have a certain type of braking system that is expensive..

Harold Burrell
12-20-2009, 6:33 AM
At 51, waiting for 20-25 seconds is nothing anymore. Now when I was in my twenties, it seemed like an eternity. Blade brakes on band saw as well lawn mowers are just something extra to spend money on to fix once they break or wear out.

Yeah...but on the flip side...we 50+ year olds don't have as many seconds left as we did in our twenties, either.

:eek:

;)

Fred Belknap
12-20-2009, 7:56 AM
I made a manual brake on my 16" Griz BS. I find that I use it quite a lot. It has the cast iron wheels and seemed like it took forever to stop. I have a DW CMS with a motor brake and it doesn't seem to work as good as it did when it was new but still better than no brake at all. Used a lot of the older CS back when and you could go get a drink of water while the thing ran down. :)

Michael Erkens
12-20-2009, 8:05 AM
20-25 Seconds? Gotta go check some my bearings or something.

Ed Griner
12-20-2009, 8:08 AM
Hey Dave, Try it you'll like it.Motor brakes have been around a long time and are the future(per the feds).What Grizzly is offering is nothing new to the machine industry.

Ed

Dave Lehnert
12-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Hey Dave, Try it you'll like it.Motor brakes have been around a long time and are the future(per the feds).What Grizzly is offering is nothing new to the machine industry.

Ed

Thanks!

You would think I would have this all figured out by now since it has been a year since the OP. LOL!!! You know how it goes. $200 extra for the break sounds good but now that put the price close to buying a bigger saw or a JET local.

No, the real reason I have not pulled the trigger yet. Hours at work have been cut and just don't know how that all is going to work out.