PDA

View Full Version : Shop Tour Video

Bruce Page
12-27-2008, 7:04 PM
I got a little digicam for Christmas and shot a little shop tour with it.
I put it up on YouTube, be sure to click on “watch in high quality (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9WxC-kJUs&feature=channel_page##)” just below the window.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9WxC-kJUs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9WxC-kJUs)

I hope you don’t get too dizzy, I’m new at this video thing so bear with me.:o

And yeah, I cleaned the shop…:rolleyes:

Dewey Torres
12-27-2008, 7:16 PM
Bruce,
Not bad at all I think.

My fav might have been your custom made Colt plunge attachment. That was slick. I can tell you lean heavily on your machining experience which must come in quite handy.

I thought I saw a GBI picture in there somewhere;)

Carroll Courtney
12-27-2008, 7:26 PM
Bruce,you have one heck of a shop.Very clean and it looks comfortable to work in.Lots of tools:DCongrad's on your new camera.---Carroll

Gary Lange
12-27-2008, 7:32 PM
Good use of a new toy. Like the shop layout as you have some neat toys.

Bruce Page
12-27-2008, 7:54 PM
Bruce,
Not bad at all I think.

My fav might have been your custom made Colt plunge attachment. That was slick. I can tell you lean heavily on your machining experience which must come in quite handy.

I thought I saw a GBI picture in there somewhere;)

Dewey, good eye, those pics were from the 12/14/04, FTG-13C launch – another bitter cold one! You’re kind of new around here so here’s a link to my “Micro Plunge Base” thread.:D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29281

Tyler Howell
12-27-2008, 7:59 PM
Too clean Bruce..... but nice
Thanks

Bruce Page
12-27-2008, 8:01 PM
Too clean Bruce..... but nice
Thanks
Tyler! Where the heck have you been?

Jay Brewer
12-27-2008, 8:05 PM
Great shop Bruce and nice tour. Much better than pictures

Mike Heidrick
12-27-2008, 9:03 PM
Can you tell me more about the dial indicator on your fence tube Bruce?

You must have been cleaning for a long time. Nice tour.

Dewey Torres
12-27-2008, 9:09 PM
Tyler! Where the heck have you been?

Where have you been? I think an update is in order.

Bruce Page
12-27-2008, 9:14 PM
Can you tell me more about the dial indicator on your fence tube Bruce?

You must have been cleaning for a long time. Nice tour.

Mike, as you probably guessed, it’s home made, here’s the original thread on it: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=82032 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=82032)
The micrometer head didn’t work out as I had planed, (it would push the holder back instead of pushing the fence forward) so I ended up adding a couple more rare earth magnets to the bottom of the holder and used a standard 1” travel indicator.
It works really well for fine tuning a cut.

Brian Peters
12-27-2008, 9:30 PM
nice video, you have a lot of tools packed in a small space!

Doug Shepard
12-27-2008, 9:36 PM
Now fess up. You had the maid over before the video shoot right?:D I love what you've done with the place. And you even got Tyler out of retirement;)

Jason Beam
12-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Dewey, good eye, those pics were from the 12/14/04, FTG-13C launch – another bitter cold one! You’re kind of new around here so here’s a link to my “Micro Plunge Base” thread.:D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29281

That plunge base is one of the reasons I'm starting to explore machining. When I saw that I really thought ... "Man ... that's just dead sexy."

Bruce, I love your shop. I love how organized your machine stuff is. I'm just getting started in that area and got a lot of good ideas just from the few seconds of video you shot. :)

looks nice!

Joe Mioux
12-28-2008, 1:31 AM
I
And yeah, I cleaned the shop…:rolleyes:

Hi Bruce,

your shop is always clean and orderly.

I liked the video. good job!

maybe one of these days I will take a few pics of my shop and post.

joe

Bryan Cowing
12-28-2008, 6:33 AM
Not bad for a 1st try! :cool: But on the next one, shut the music off as I find it hard at times to listen to you. Way too neat, LOL. How much time did it take to clean up 1st?

Glenn Clabo
12-28-2008, 6:42 AM
Bruce,
Nice tour...but as always I have mill envy.

And I also believe I saw one of these sitting on the bench?

Bob Slater
12-28-2008, 6:49 AM
Love the term "Man Cave" . Looks like a nice place to spend time in. It would be good to see more of these videos. I'll try to post one when I get mine done.....I am about a year behind what I thought was a schedule.

John Keeton
12-28-2008, 7:46 AM
Excellent tour - the only thing missing was more space. Bruce, you sure have packed it in to that shop! Very well done, and super organized.

I could list a dozen things I saw that would be a great addition to my shop - most not in the budget. But, I am interested in the source for the magnifier/shop light. Do you recall where you acquired that?

Craig Richmond
12-28-2008, 9:45 AM
Hi,

Your shop looks good. I think you need a little more room (haha) but as long as you can move around then it works. I like the mill. I came from the air craft sheet metal side of the Air Force but have learned how to use a mill (novice). It hard to find a good used mill that would not take a crane to get to my house. LOL

Bruce Page
12-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Glenn, you know your beer. Sierra Nevada is one of my favorites but I’m too cheap to drink it all of the time. Mostly, I’m a Miller Lite guy.

John, a friend had bought that magnifier light for his father just before he passed away. It’s a nice pro model; both my friend and his father are/were gunsmiths.

Thanks for all the comments. It was kind of fun shooting the video, not so much fun getting it up on youtube…

Sorry about the music, should've shut it off but I had already had a few of those Pale Ale's and they make me hard of hearing...:rolleyes:

Bob Slater
12-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Jumping in... on the magnifying lights, I plan on getting one too , but in the mean time I bought a great magnifying glass made by Meade. It has a ring of LED's around it that you can adjust for brightness. I haven't seen things so clear since i was a kid. My eyes are going south by the day.

Dewey Torres
12-28-2008, 12:02 PM
For those who may be interested in Mag lights, My eyes are great thank god but I do very small work and find it much easier to use magnification. I find it makes me very accurate.
I have a 5 diopter light which I have attached to my scrollsaw. The 5 diopter is about twice the magnification as a 3 diopter. Most of the lights you see in the $30 range are going to be 3 diopter. This was a bit more expensive but again I really like the powerful magnification on it.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=103819&d=1229497589
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010BIYGU

Bruce... not trying to highjack the thread here my appologies.

John Keeton
12-28-2008, 1:10 PM
Thanks Dewey! That will work. This will be on the "short" after Christmas list.

Ben Franz
12-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Nicely done, Bruce. One question: what brand of "solvent" is in the bottle on your bench and is it OSHA approved w/MSDS?

Bruce Page
12-28-2008, 10:16 PM
lol! I'll have to ask Kelly's Liquor about the MSDS
Glenn nailed the brand in post 17. Good stuff!

Paul Greathouse
12-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Great job on the shop tour Bruce. Looks like you have most everthing you need. Since no one else has mentioned, thats some great background music. Is that Norah Jones? I didn't recognize the song.

Bruce Page
12-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks Paul. That’s Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, a great little band out of Vermont. I was in Boston for a meeting a few years ago and just happened on them in a small pub. They do everything from soft to rock, exceptionally well IMO.

Check ‘em out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz_ZkxN_fKc

Ken Higginbotham
12-29-2008, 8:13 PM
Neat video - Cool shop!

ken

Jim Becker
12-29-2008, 8:58 PM
Nice tour!!

Duane McGuire
12-29-2008, 10:06 PM
I can tell from your dialog and from the projects you display that you actually work in this shop. But my goodness ... you are neat! It's something I can aspire too, but given all of my practiced experience with being messy, I doubt I'll get there.

Thanks for the great tour.

Will Scott
12-30-2008, 12:57 AM
I inherited a 20 x 60 shop from my father. I would go back to the original 20 x 20 shop we started with in a heartbeat if he could be here with me now.

Bruce Page
12-30-2008, 11:16 AM
I can tell from your dialog and from the projects you display that you actually work in this shop. But my goodness ... you are neat! It's something I can aspire too, but given all of my practiced experience with being messy, I doubt I'll get there.

Thanks for the great tour.

Thanks Duane, as far as the neatness thing, it is the only way I can function. I’m not smart enough to remember where I left a tool unless I put it back in the same place every time…:o

Ken, thanks and welcome to SMC! Pull up a chair and don’t be shy.

Ken Higginbotham
12-31-2008, 6:55 AM
Thanks Duane, as far as the neatness thing, it is the only way I can function. I’m not smart enough to remember where I left a tool unless I put it back in the same place every time…:o

Ken, thanks and welcome to SMC! Pull up a chair and don’t be shy.

Thanks. We built a new home last summer and I'm looking for ideas on how to set up my shop in the basement. Currently brainstorming the best way to build a wood storage shelf/rack...

This is a cool site.

ken

Dewey Torres
12-31-2008, 10:30 AM
... Currently brainstorming the best way to build a wood storage shelf/rack...

ken

Ken,
Welcome to the Creek!

Start a new thread with a title like "New to the creek and need wood storage ideas"...

It is a great way to meet lots of creekers and get tons of ideas for you basement shop. There are quite a few folks here who have basement shops so you should have a problem with ideas rather which one to employ.:)

Ken Higginbotham
12-31-2008, 2:42 PM
Ken,
Welcome to the Creek!

Start a new thread with a title like "New to the creek and need wood storage ideas"...

It is a great way to meet lots of creekers and get tons of ideas for you basement shop. There are quite a few folks here who have basement shops so you should have a problem with ideas rather which one to employ.:)

I'll do it. Thanks. Cupcake will laugh when I tell her I'm a 'creeker' :p