PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening jig for bench grinder

Jason White
12-27-2008, 5:01 PM
Santa brought me a Delta 23-725 slow-speed bench grinder (picture below). It's a nice machine, but the tool rest doesn't really let me do a good job of sharpening my chisels at 25-degrees.

FYI -- the chisels I use are cheap and short (Stanley, Ace Hardware brand, etc.) and I'm not having much luck free-handing them. I do have better luck with long chisels like my Irwin/Marples.

Anybody know of a good aftermarket jig that will help?

Jason

John Jendro
12-27-2008, 5:08 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32975&cat=1,43072,45938

I have this and like it. If your doing lathe chisels too you might want something different.
John

They are offering free shipping right now too !

Jason White
12-27-2008, 5:44 PM
Nope, no lathe chisels. Just regular old carpentry chisels from the hardware store.

That jig is a little pricey. Anybody know of something cheaper (or did you make something yourself?).

Jason

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32975&cat=1,43072,45938

I have this and like it. If your doing lathe chisels too you might want something different.
John

They are offering free shipping right now too !

Bruce Wrenn
12-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Get hold of a copy of "Sharpening With Waterstones." The author uses a round steel rod for a tool rest, and small shop made blocks for holding chisels / plane irons. You could use a piece of pipe instead.

jerry nazard
12-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Krenov's "Fine Art of Cabinetmaking" has a section on sharpening. He uses a nifty wooden jig that would be quick and easy to make.

hank dekeyser
12-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Jason, I am going to have to say it depends on what you use the chisels for? Personally I grind my everyday "beater" chisels w/ the belt sander. Since they take a fair amount of abuse when I use them for framing, it's quick and easy. I know what you mean about the Delta not being able to do the shorter chisels. I have the same unit and quite frankly I wish I would have saved my money. I have the long attachment for planer blades and problem is that the slow stone is so flippin soft that unless you're just dressing a good edge, you may as well plan on getting a new stone every set of blades. Works well for 6" jointer blades, the 15" planer blades- not so good.

my 2 cents

Jason White
12-29-2008, 8:00 PM
Yeah, I would've gone with a more specialized grinder for "real" woodworking chisels and plane irons and such, but I figured I needed more of an all-purpose grinder for mower blades, garden tools, etc.

Jason

Jason, I am going to have to say it depends on what you use the chisels for? Personally I grind my everyday "beater" chisels w/ the belt sander. Since they take a fair amount of abuse when I use them for framing, it's quick and easy. I know what you mean about the Delta not being able to do the shorter chisels. I have the same unit and quite frankly I wish I would have saved my money. I have the long attachment for planer blades and problem is that the slow stone is so flippin soft that unless you're just dressing a good edge, you may as well plan on getting a new stone every set of blades. Works well for 6" jointer blades, the 15" planer blades- not so good.

my 2 cents

Greg Hines, MD
12-29-2008, 9:00 PM
For flat blades, Veritas makes a handy jig for sharpening them on a grinder. I got mine at Woodcraft for a few bucks a couple of years ago, and it works well for reworking an edge.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=03B37&FamilyID=235

Doc