PDA

View Full Version : Don't Cast Caution To The Wind

Christopher K. Hartley
12-27-2008, 4:28 PM
This could have been very bad, but someone above was watching over me. I was running fast but not overly so or at least I thought. I should have anticipated the inclusion going deeper than I thought it did. You know, hind sight is always better than foresight. Be careful out there and continue to have fun. Hope this helps to be a reminder. All is well and no serious injuries. I will have to talk to P& N about this tool though.:eek::o

From the voice of experience...Have a Happy and Safe Holiday Season and a very Merry New Year!;)

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2008, 4:35 PM
Chris - what happened?

Christopher K. Hartley
12-27-2008, 4:44 PM
Chris - what happened?Had a Bradford Pear blank that I was real excited about. I had started the roughing stage and had just cut for my tenon. As I started rounding out the bottom "B A N G"!!! My hand went limp my gouge went flying and glass was being showered down. Close observation will show that the inclusion goes better than 4/5 the way through the bowl. The problem was I couldn't know that when I started.:confused:

Greg Just
12-27-2008, 4:53 PM
Did the tool break? I take it the glass was from the lights breaking?

Christopher K. Hartley
12-27-2008, 5:02 PM
Did the tool break? I take it the glass was from the lights breaking?Yes the tool broke. If you look close you can see where it broke off from the Kelton Ultimate Handle. The glass is from florescent lights above the lathe.:(

Don Carter
12-27-2008, 5:06 PM
Chris:
I am glad you are okay. It looks like that gouge sheared off at the handle. Jeepers! I bet that did make a bang. I am thinking about looking into a flak jacket.;) You want me to order two?

Again, thanks for showing this. I have only made about 10 bowls and I am learning what to look for and what not to do. Take care.

All the best.

Don

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2008, 5:20 PM
Chris glad you weren't hurt and things are ok. That well serves as a reminder. I had the same thing with a HF.

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2008, 5:23 PM
Chris - I am glad you are going to be OK! I'll bet your hand still smarts some! The wood inclusion I can understand and have had a few of those happen. The gouge is something that should not happen - under any circumstances - as far as I am concerned! I would definitely be having some words with P&N about that!

Shop looks like quite the mess what with broken glass all over. Hope you are OK and your nerves have calmed down somewhat.

Still like your lathe....... Thanks for sharing the warning! Seems like it is always something!

Jim Becker
12-27-2008, 5:47 PM
Wow...to snap that gouge off like that must have been a real "treat"! (Clothing changing "treat" I might add...) 'Glad you're ok!

Dick Strauss
12-28-2008, 1:05 AM
Chris,
I'm glad to hear you are okay!!! Be careful cleaning up those tubes since they are made with a couple of drops of mercury...

The gouge looks to be about 5/8"...I agree with Steve about that gouge.

Did you hear the little "tick tick tick" before it went? Often you know it's coming if you are listening. I've heard that sound many times and it always meant the same thing...:eek:!

Greg Ketell
12-28-2008, 1:06 AM
Yikes!! Can we see the other end of the gouge?

robert hainstock
12-28-2008, 7:06 AM
WOW, I'm so glad you're all right. That kind of "Bang" is a heart stopper. :eek::eek::eek:
Bob

Gordon Seto
12-28-2008, 7:53 AM
I don't understand why P&N has to reduce the shanks to no larger than 1/2" diameter. Their regular Kelton & Ultimate handle can chuck up 3/4" shank.
Each tool is going to be as strong as the weakest link. The second picture is the Thompson (3/4") and P&N (1/2") SRG tangs side by side. They are made from solid round rods, it is not that the metal shaving from milling down the shanks has any value.:confused: Milling the shank down too much adds no value to the end users. Large P&N gouges never felt as solid as tools of same diameter of other brands. I can't accuse them of cutting cost; it takes time, energy and wear on the cutter.:confused:

Jeff Nicol
12-28-2008, 7:53 AM
Chris, WOW at least all I broke was my hard head! Must have given you a heck of a wallop on your hand! Glad you are doing well and did not break your hand.

I think though the gouge is not meant to take a huge impact like it did. Since we don't have a slow notion video to see how it broke I think it must have gotten pulled down hard and into the tool post with extreme force. The centrifugal force and kinetic energy stored in the blank caused a huge force to be unloaded on the gouge. Since it is very hard and tempered, thus brittle also. With the big heavy handle being used there was no give there, so the weakest point is where it broke off.

I guess what I am saying it is not the manufacturers fault but just bad luck. If you took the same tool and clamped it to a table and hit the handle with a sledge hammer I believe the same thing would happen. So chalk it up to a lesson learned and let the company know what happened and they might give you a replacement for running the extreme stress test on their tool!

Good luck and stay safe!
Have a Happy New Year!

Jeff

Christopher K. Hartley
12-28-2008, 8:41 AM
Yikes!! Can we see the other end of the gouge?
Here Greg, this is the business end of the gouge. Looks like it slammed some part of the lathe pretty hard. Not much else in the shop could do that kind of damage.

I don't understand why P&N has to reduce the shanks to no larger than 1/2" diameter. Their regular Kelton & Ultimate handle can chuck up 3/4" shank.

Gordon, I'm with you...I don't understand their point in milling it down.

Chris, I think though the gouge is not meant to take a huge impact like it did. Since we don't have a slow notion video to see how it broke I think it must have gotten pulled down hard and into the tool post with extreme force. The centrifugal force and kinetic energy stored in the blank caused a huge force to be unloaded on the gouge. Since it is very hard and tempered, thus brittle also. With the big heavy handle being used there was no give there, so the weakest point is where it broke off.

I guess what I am saying it is not the manufacturers fault but just bad luck. If you took the same tool and clamped it to a table and hit the handle with a sledge hammer I believe the same thing would happen. So chalk it up to a lesson learned and let the company know what happened and they might give you a replacement for running the extreme stress test on their tool!

Good luck and stay safe!
Have a Happy New Year!

JeffJeff, sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought P&N was at fault. I am a bit perplexed about how it happened as I always try to keep my tool rest no more than 1/4" away from my work. I do not like my tool extending out over the rest much more than that. When I adjust my rest I almost always pit it 1/8" or so away from the work. Also, I try to keep a really sharp tool. The hand still hurts, but you're right I am very fortunate indeed.

Thanks for the concern everybody.:o

Gary Herrmann
12-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Scary stuff. Glad you're ok, Chris. This will definitely have me look twice at bark inclusions. I may also rethink purchasing any P&N tools.

Brian Weick
12-28-2008, 12:01 PM
I am really glad that you are OK~ seriously~ :eek:. That is the one thing about turning that scares the shavings off me~ You never know for sure that your turning isn't going to explode on you. I am just glad to hear that it wasn't a major accident and you were able to walk away with any serious injury. you aren't kidding about being cautious.
Brian

Jeff Nicol
12-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Chris, I see the new close ups of the cutting edge and I don't think it should do that! The tool seems to brittle to chip out like that.

I was not implying that you or the company was at fault, just that when things fly apart normal reactions go out the window! Hope it all gets figured out and take care of the hand.

Thanks,

Jeff

Pete Jordan
12-28-2008, 1:31 PM
I am so happy you were not hurt, Chris!

I have dents in my wall and ceiling from inclusions so I don't even mess with them anymore.

charlie knighton
12-28-2008, 2:13 PM
glad you are ok, thanks for sharing

Barry Stratton
12-28-2008, 4:50 PM
That must have been one monster of a catch!!!:eek::eek:

Got any pictures of the tailstock end of that blank?:D

Dick Strauss
12-28-2008, 7:53 PM
I suspect that P&N cuts the shafts down so that they fit as many handles as possible. This redcution of shaft diameter is the kind the thing forstner bit manufacturers do to make a 1/2" or 5/8" shaft fit 3/8" DP chucks. However, I don't think it is a good idea for the overall strength of turning tools.