PDA

View Full Version : Show Google results in a new window

Mitchell Andrus
12-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Setting up a new laptop.... take pity on me...

I HATE 'backing' out of a website to get back to the Google page listing search results, so on my old 'puter I had Google open a new window (or tab in FF) so if I didn't have any use for the site, it was easy to dump it and get back to the Google results page.

I have 'Open results in new window' selected, but I'm opening new sites and loosing the Google page when the site is selected. I can't find any other spots to set this.

Any ideas where to set this control that I just haven't stumbled upon?

Thanks.

Ben Rafael
12-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Depends on what browser you are using. It would likely be an option somewhere under preferences. It would say something like "open new links in new tab or new window".

Jason Beam
12-27-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't know of a setting for such a thing that your browser would control - it'd be unusual to have some browser setting to open only links listed in a google results page in a new window when clicked.

That said ... it's really easy to do in FF or IE... I just got in the habit of holding ctrl or shift when I click a link in the results. This keeps my results page intact while opening the link in a new tab or window, respectively. Ctrl will put things in a tab - shift will put it in a new window. In some browsers, ctrl+shift+click will make the tab load "under" so I can stay on my list of results and open several pages without the results losing focus between each click. Others do it by default - this would be a setting somewhere like "hide new tabs by default" or something. I just got used to FF's behavior and work with ctrl or ctrl+shift when I want to load up a bunch of pages at once.

Scott Conners
12-27-2008, 2:24 PM
A middle mouse click will open a link in a new tab (in Firefox), and can be set to pop over or under the current window. I prefer it to pop under, I can quickly click on a list of links (like pictures) and open them all underneath what I'm working on, so I can finish reading then go look at the new pages..
Make sure your setting in Tools>Options>Tabs>New Pages Should Be Opened In is set to "a new tab"

Bonnie Campbell
12-27-2008, 2:51 PM
Thanks for the middle click tip Scott. I hadn't known that.

Kevin Arceneaux
12-27-2008, 3:11 PM
Right click and then on open in new tab.

Mike Langford
12-28-2008, 12:07 AM
Mitchell, You may simply have to go back and reset your preferences on the main Google search page......

.....On Google's main page, to the right of the search box, click on "preferences".....make what changes you want (including open search in new window) then save....

You may already know about or have done that but sometime (for some unknown reason) Google will "reset" my preferences out of the blue...(happens without me clearing my cookies!)

HTH

Mitchell Andrus
12-28-2008, 8:56 AM
Nope, just displaces the search results page, no new window.

There's got to be an over riding control somewhere... I can't get this to change in either IE or FF.

Jim Becker
12-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Just right-click on the links and choose to open the link in a new window or tab...that way, you don't alter the behavior of the browser for other situations when you don't want a new window/tab every time.

Mitchell Andrus
12-28-2008, 4:09 PM
Ah, shucks Jim.... that's just a work-around, doncha know.....

I'm not one of those 'stickler-for-details guys, but boy I get irked when something just won't do what I ask it to.

Jim Becker
12-28-2008, 4:34 PM
I'm not sure if you can have this option of only having Google search results open in a different window/tab, which is why I mentioned the right-click method...which I use all the time for the same reasons you likely want that behavior.

Mitchell Andrus
12-28-2008, 4:57 PM
I did the 'get updates' thing from MS and it works as it did on my desktop (both the lap and desk are running XP Pro). I got a reply on another forum. It's apparently a hit/miss problem that goes away when the latest update is applied, although it isn't important enough to document, I guess.