PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Christmas Presents

michael gallagher
12-27-2008, 9:33 AM
I haven't had much shop time, but I was able to finish a couple of these up.

The one on the left is made of Bethlehem Olivewood finished in CA and is on the Fisher of Men kit - hard to tell in the picture, but the upper and lower bands have the Christian fish symbol edging the bands. I learned a new technique a few months ago for oily woods like olive wood and applying CA as a finish some of you should try - rather than applying BLO at all, I hit it hard with accelerator then applied several coats of CA; the accelerator somehow neutralizes the oily matter which can cause white spots in the CA glue application. This one is for my wife, who works in the Children's Ministry of a large Presbyterian Church.

The one on the right is the Texas flag, made out of dyed maple and finished with a BLO / CA combination. It was made as a gift to myself, as at times I am certainly an obnoxious Texan.

All comments and critiques appreciated!

robert hainstock
12-27-2008, 9:43 AM
I realy like the fishers of men theme. Whose kit is it?
Thankst too for the finish tip for the "O" wood. :)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Michael - very nice work on both pens! I really like the Texas flag pen - nice colors and tight joinery!

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Both are great looking pens. I like the one with the Texas flag.

David Walser
12-27-2008, 12:16 PM
...as at times I am certainly an obnoxious Texan....
There's nothing obnoxious about being a Texan! My Dad was born and raised in El Paso. He played football for that small little school in Austin, the University of Texas. He always told me I was a Texan -- even though I was born in Utah and never made it to Texas until I moved my family of five there. His argument was that I'd still be an American if born to American parents who were living overseas. Same rule should apply to Texans!

Texas is a great state and you've a lot to be proud of. It's a beautiful state too! For proof, just think back on all those John Wayne and other movie western's that had their story set in Texas. (Never mind that many of them were filmed in Utah, Arizona, and California...)

Scott Lux
12-27-2008, 1:07 PM
an obnoxious Texan
Is there any other kind? ;)

Texas fathers tell their sons, "Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell you; and if he's not, you don't want to embarass him."

John Grabowski
12-28-2008, 8:57 AM
Very nice!!

John G