PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Greetings

Rich Boehlke
12-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Howdy,
My name is Rich Boehlke (pronounced Bell-Key). I live in Pinetop Arizona, about 190 miles east/northeast of Phoenix, altitude 7000 feet above sea level. I retired in 2005 after 32 years from IBM and moved to the mountains from Chandler AZ.

One of the items on my bucket list is to become a skilled wood turner. I am also interested in furniture building.

I'm glad to have found the Creek and have already lurked my way through a lot of very useful information. Thanks to all those who contribute to making this forum such a valuable resource. One big problem: the day is limited to a mere 24 hours! How will I ever catch up?
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/misc/progress.gif http://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/buttons/edit.gif (http://familywoodworking.org/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=135818)

Rick Potter
12-27-2008, 2:06 AM
Welcome,

You won't. Catch up that is. You will start playing around with that lathe, and probably be giving us hints after a while.

Remember, there are all levels of wood butchers here, somehow happily comingling in one creek.

Rick Potter

Ted Calver
12-27-2008, 7:46 AM
Hi Rich, and welcome. A few years of retirement sleep depravation will help you catch up...but why would you want to?? :)

John Keeton
12-27-2008, 8:09 AM
Rich, congratulations on your retirement - and a new way to spend all the money that may be left in your 401K!! Woodworking is an addictive hobby, supported by an obsessive need to research every tool purchase to its ultimate end, and to self-rationalize more and more tools.

Oh, it is also very fulfilling to actually build stuff, too! But, the important part is the tool obsession!

Welcome to the Creek! We look forward to seeing some of your work.

Brian Brown
12-27-2008, 9:04 AM
Rich,

You'll catch up. I'm convinced that woodturning lengthens your life! :D If nothing else, Einstein thought that as speed increased, time slowed down, so just crank up the speed on your lathe. :rolleyes: All kidding aside, welcome to SMC. You retirement is now fully scheduled. Surrender now, there is no escape.

Jim Becker
12-27-2008, 9:44 AM
Rich, you'll never "catch up" but you'll have a lot of fun trying. Of course, a steady pace is usually more enjoyable and safer!

Welcome to the 'Creek!

Lori Kleinberg
12-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the creek Rich. I live in Tucson and am a disability retiree, that likes making sawdust. My husband and I have a summer home in Pinetop. He would love to retire there but the job and family commitments keep us anchored in Tucson.

Rich Boehlke
12-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Welcome to the creek Rich. I live in Tucson and am a disability retiree, that likes making sawdust. My husband and I have a summer home in Pinetop. He would love to retire there but the job and family commitments keep us anchored in Tucson.

Holler at me next time you are in Pinetop, you are welcome to drop buy and "talk shop", the fun kind that is. :)

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Rich - Welcome to the Creek! I read that you already have your lathe - very nice choice by the way! Turning is definitely addicting but no one seems to mind! Have fun with it - ask lots of questions - and remember, we all love to see the pictures!