PDA

View Full Version : Keeping dust off your face shield

Scott Conners
12-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Having just seen Jeff's thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100005) and his injuries, it dawned on me that I should be wearing my face shield more often. I have found myself using it mostly for roughing out and operations that throw the most chips directly in my face, but not so much for things like sanding and finishing. A large part of this is that especially in sanding, the dust loves the plastic that the shield is made of, and wiping the shield just increases the static charge. Finishing with delicate cuts and sanding requires good visual feedback and the dusty plastic makes it hard.
Is there something that can be put on the plastic to make the dust not stick so much? Or perhaps a better shield? I've been eyeing the Uvex Bionic as it's within my price range and gets very good reviews, but I'm not sure it would help the problem. A triton would be nice, but seems pricey and very cumbersome, and an Airshield is too expensive, as much as I want one. :(

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Scott - probably not the answer you are looking for, but, when I do any sanding I have my Jet 650 DC hose very close to the turning and it collects 99% of the dust. Havent' had an issue with the faceshield acting as a dust magnet but I do wipe it down every once in a while with a used dryer sheet - like Bounce or something. Just enough fabric softener left on the cloth that it cleans the plastic and may help eliminate static.

David Walser
12-27-2008, 3:05 AM
Scott,

Like Steve, I usually sand with my dust collector on and haven't had too much trouble with dust. When my faceshield does get dusty, I try to resist the temptation to wipe it off. (I'm afraid wiping it off will build static cling and, perhaps, scratch the faceshield.) Instead, I blow it off with compressed air.

HTH

Jeff Nicol
12-27-2008, 6:39 AM
Scott, Thanks for reading my war wound post. I have tried all kinds of things to keep the dust of the face shield and the compressed air works best. But I do use Rainex sheets to treat it when I do roughing out of wet wood. It lets the mist and spray bead up and come off, it does help with the static to keep the dust from sticking to much when turning dry wood. Ca glue still sticks though!!

Jeff

Scott Loven
12-27-2008, 7:34 AM
Anyone ever try to turn with one of these? (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tascocorp.com/IMAGES/6000%2520glad.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tascocorp.com/6000_series_forestry_systems.html&usg=__zCPUDVzl-bna-mQ756w3Xvs-bew=&h=335&w=628&sz=27&hl=en&start=28&um=1&tbnid=p5XPBBfBK7lV6M:&tbnh=73&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmesh%2Bface%2Bshields%2Bchain%2Bsaw%2 6start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3D N) I have one for chain-saw work.

Scott

Keith Outten
12-27-2008, 8:19 AM
Scott,

Reinforcing what Steve said try wiping your face shield with a dryer sheet, they are anti-static and will repel the dust. I keep a used dryer sheet on the side of my tool box, been using the same one for about a year.

Greg Just
12-27-2008, 9:16 AM
Scott,

Reinforcing what Steve said try wiping your face shield with a dryer sheet, they are anti-static and will repel the dust. I keep a used dryer sheet on the side of my tool box, been using the same one for about a year.

I second or third the dryer sheet method.

Roger Wilson
12-27-2008, 11:09 AM
.... when I do any sanding I have my Jet 650 DC hose very close to the turning and it collects 99% of the dust.....

I keep the dust collector on and close as well while sanding. I actually have the dust collector on all the time as turning produces some dust as well.

David Christopher
12-27-2008, 9:39 PM
Scott, I use a product called plexis plastic cleaner (you can get it at motorcycle dealers) I use it on my glasses and my face shield, it keeps them cleaner and dustless

Dave

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2008, 12:22 AM
I wear my Trend all the time I am turning and sanding even though I run my DC and a air cleaner hanging from the ceiling above the lathe.

Keith Christopher
12-28-2008, 4:17 AM
rainx on the outside, fogx on the inside. :)

Cody Colston
12-28-2008, 6:37 AM
Scott,

I keep a used dryer sheet on the side of my tool box, been using the same one for about a year.

LOL, can you say frugal?

I use compressed air to blow mine clean but I'll give that Bounce sheet a try.

Cyril Griesbach
12-28-2008, 9:18 AM
I got a tip from a Pro about a heavy dose of Armorall on a cotton cloth. Let it air dry to release the volatiles and store in a zip lock bag. Works great on face shields and glasses. Dryer sheets work well too.