PDA

View Full Version : My battle scars!

Jeff Nicol
12-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Here is what happens when a bowl dries a little and you turn the rpms up a bit! This happened in 2005 about a year into my turning career, needless to say it hurt! Got 28 stitches and my forhead is still numb! It was a red oak bowl 10 1/2" by 3" deep. I was in the finish sanding stages and was working on other projects and left it for a few days and when I came back to it I forgot to check the chuck and make sure it was tight. I turned it on and sped up the lathe to about 1200rpms and it must have created a vibration in the wood or it had a small crack and it split into 3 hunks and one of them hit me! The LOML says that it adds some character to my pretty face!

So this is my war story and an education for all! Lathe turning is as safe as you are!

Have a Happy New Year!

Jeff

Don Carter
12-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Wow! Jeff, I am glad you are still with us. One moment of inattention and it could happen to any of us. Thanks for showing, just for a reminder.
All the best.

Don

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Ouch! Glad you were ok. Thanks for the reminder. It just takes a split second of not paying attention for something bad to happen.

Jim Koepke
12-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Ouch!!

I have some scars like that, but I was hit by a truck.

guess it feels about the same.

jtk

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Jeff - thanks for passing on your experience! Hopefully it will serve well as a warning and keep all of us a little more attentive while turning! Thanks for sharing!

alex carey
12-27-2008, 5:48 AM
wow, scary, i guess I was lucky mine didn't hit my face. Were you wearing anything on your face for protection?

Jeff Nicol
12-27-2008, 6:22 AM
Alex, I had on a pair of safety glasses but I don't think they afforded much protection from the hunk of oak! My Dad was standing right next to me and we were going to get some lunch and I was just showing him the bowl, turned on the lathe for 15 or 20 seconds and "WHAMO!!!" A few choice words were said and off to the emergency room we went. I must have a hard head as it did not knock me out. My wife was taking a walk and when she got home and found the note that I was in the emergerncy room, well lets just say if she catches me with out any eye and face protection while turning the rotation of the earth changes!!!

Thanks for all your replies, life is an adventure!
Alex how are the bruises?

Jeff