PDA

View Full Version : BandSaw Blade Dilemma

James Carmichael
06-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Well, the Ridgid BS is up and running at last. Now I'm faced with what seems to be conflicting advice about blades, tires and tension:

Since one of the guide blocks was missing from this HD demo Unit, I ordered a set of Hale cool blocks from Iturra designs (I've also spent a lot of time with my nose in Lou's catalog). While on the phone, I asked Lou what upgrades might give the most bang for the buck on this saw. He recommended a high tension spring for resawing saying most stock springs don't provide enough tension for straight resawing. His catalog recommends Lennox and Promaster(?) blades.

I'm wondering, though, I see so many rave reviews of Timberwolf blades and after rereading the information on them on the Suffolk Machinery site, they claim the exact opposite, that their blades can resaw at less than mfr. recommended tension. They also seem to recommend crowned tires. I've already sanded mine flat per just about everyone else's advice.

So, thought I'd solicit some Creeker's experiences and recommendations on blades and tires and what works the best.

Thanks,

James

David Perkins
06-17-2004, 5:56 PM
James I bought a ridgid band saw and went with timberwolf blades and did follow their advice and so far knock on wood it has worked wonderfully. I feel that if you purchase a blade and that manufacture recommends it to be set up a certain way it usually will work. (There are always exceptions) I did notice that with the timberwolf blades that the ½” and larger needed more tension than Sulfolk recommended to resaw properly.
Hope this helps
David

Mike Cutler
06-18-2004, 6:08 AM
James. I have a 14" Jet with a 6" riser on it. I tried various Timberwolf blades for resawing and never could get good, consistent results. I finally went with the spring from the Iturra catalog and a 1/2", 3-4tpi Wood Slicer blade from Highland hardware, the improvement in resawing quality was dramatic. This is not meant to be a slam on Timberwolf blades, I use their blades for other applications and find they work very well. My .02 fwiw.

Tom Hintz
06-18-2004, 6:56 AM
I also use Timber Wolf blades exclusively on my 12" Craftsman band saw with the tension adjusted as prescribed by Timber Wolf. I was ready to toss my band saw in the trash as it would never resaw straight but tried a Timber Wolf blade as a last resort. Now it cuts perfectly straight and my band saw remains a valued piece of equipment in my shop.

James Carmichael
06-18-2004, 7:09 AM
Thanks for the input, all. As usual, looks like there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Joseph N. Myers
06-18-2004, 9:25 AM
James,

Good questions --- I would ask Iturra and Suffolk about their opinions on them.

From the above posts and my experience (and guessing), I think you have two different situations here that being "resawing" and "not resawing". If you are "not resawing" and using a thinner blade, the Timberwolf, regular tension and the "flat" or "crowned" tires works fine.

But once you begin "resawing", it is a different game, especially if the blade is 3/4 or over. You need more tension, the tire might work better if crowned (actually, the wheel itself supplies the crown) and the blade might work better if it is not low tensioned. Also the using good block guide help (I use Iturra's bandrollers).

I use the 3/4", 3 tpi Lennox pro-master III carbide tip with Iturra's tension spring for resawing and have had great results. And I've heard that the Highland Hardware's Wood Slicer is a great blade, a lot cheaper and rated "Best All-Around 1/2" Resaw Blade" by Fine Woodworking magazine, April, 2004. (I'd give Highland a call also, 800-241-6748, www.highlandhardware.com (http://www.highlandhardware.com)).

Regards, Joe

James Carmichael
06-18-2004, 11:08 AM
James,

Good questions --- I would ask Iturra and Suffolk about their opinions on them.

From the above posts and my experience (and guessing), I think you have two different situations here that being "resawing" and "not resawing". If you are "not resawing" and using a thinner blade, the Timberwolf, regular tension and the "flat" or "crowned" tires works fine.

But once you begin "resawing", it is a different game, especially if the blade is 3/4 or over. You need more tension, the tire might work better if crowned (actually, the wheel itself supplies the crown) and the blade might work better if it is not low tensioned. Also the using good block guide help (I use Iturra's bandrollers).

I use the 3/4", 3 tpi Lennox pro-master III carbide tip with Iturra's tension spring for resawing and have had great results. And I've heard that the Highland Hardware's Wood Slicer is a great blade, a lot cheaper and rated "Best All-Around 1/2" Resaw Blade" by Fine Woodworking magazine, April, 2004. (I'd give Highland a call also, 800-241-6748, www.highlandhardware.com (http://www.highlandhardware.com)).

Regards, Joe

Thanks for the reply, Joe.

Can you use a 3/4" blade on a 14" bandsaw? I though 1/2" was about the maximum. How thick is the 3/4" Wood Slicer

The Wood Slicer must be the one Iturra is selling now as "Bladerunner". He cites the Fine WW blade test in his catalog and offers the blades, but says he can't use the name because the distributor has it trademarked.

Well, this may be a case of just having to try and see what works best. From a dollars perspective, the Timberwolf blades are the most attractive and don't require any additional accessories (maybe new tires since I've sanded mine). If they live up to their claim of resawing at lower tension, they should be easier on the saw as well.

I'd still like to get more opinions from some of you band saw experts as to what's worked the best for you (except for Chris Padilla since he will use the opportunity to shamelessly gloat about his Minimax :D )

Joseph N. Myers
06-19-2004, 10:39 PM
James,

I called Highland Hardware about using a 3/4" blade on a 14" bandsaw. He said that the manufacture do not recommend it but he has done it many times and has had no problems. Iturra sold me my 3/4" blade so he probably thought the same.

The thickness (kerf) of the Wood Slicer is 1/32", about 1/2 the thickness of a regular blade. If Iturra sells the Wood Slicer (under the name Bladerunner), I would think that it would be a good buy as anything Iturra sells is good.

I really like the Timberwolf blades and have been using them from day one for all my other cutting except resawing. But even their thinner ones are good at cutting thicker wood --- I use their 1/4", 10 tpi to cut reindeers out of 3" thick oak, teak, etc and they work fine.

What thickness are you planning to resaw? Do you have the riser block? And tried to read the March/April 2004 Fine Woodworking article on Bandsaw Blades; it should give you more insight to your questions. If you can’t get a copy, I’d be glad to send to a photocopy.

Regards, Joe

James Carmichael
06-19-2004, 10:52 PM
James,

I called Highland Hardware about using a 3/4" blade on a 14" bandsaw. He said that the manufacture do not recommend it but he has done it many times and has had no problems. Iturra sold me my 3/4" blade so he probably thought the same.

The thickness (kerf) of the Wood Slicer is 1/32", about 1/2 the thickness of a regular blade. If Iturra sells the Wood Slicer (under the name Bladerunner), I would think that it would be a good buy as anything Iturra sells is good.

I really like the Timberwolf blades and have been using them from day one for all my other cutting except resawing. But even their thinner ones are good at cutting thicker wood --- I use their 1/4", 10 tpi to cut reindeers out of 3" thick oak, teak, etc and they work fine.

What thickness are you planning to resaw? Do you have the riser block? And tried to read the March/April 2004 Fine Woodworking article on Bandsaw Blades; it should give you more insight to your questions. If you can’t get a copy, I’d be glad to send to a photocopy.

Regards, Joe

Thanks for taking time to reply, Joe.

I don't have any specific cuts in mind, would just like to be able to resaw hardwood. I do have the riser block installed, but expect I'll limit myself to 6" thickness for the most part as that looks like about all the motor will handle. If I need to go more than that I'll look into a 1 1/2 HP Baldor motor.

I'll see if I can get the FWW article, Iturra spoke very highly of their test.