Thread: Preparing wood before and after engraving.

Preparing wood before and after engraving.

Hello, I'm wondering what others have found to be the best way to prep wood before engraving and what you do after it has been engraved? Do you your finish, clear coat, before engraving? If so what do you find to be the best to use? Do you use lacquer, shellac, or I have seen some use a type of bowling alley wax? Or do you do this after it has been engraved? Any of your tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Boss Laser LS 1630 60W

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Puckett View Post
    Hello, I'm wondering what others have found to be the best way to prep wood before engraving and what you do after it has been engraved? Do you your finish, clear coat, before engraving? If so what do you find to be the best to use? Do you use lacquer, shellac, or I have seen some use a type of bowling alley wax? Or do you do this after it has been engraved? Any of your tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    I usually just give it a coat of clear lacquer, but sometimes a light sanding first blow off the dust and then the clear.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Stain and clear coat your wood before engraving, after engraving seal the engraving with clear coat prior to any fills, seems to work best for me this way.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I've done shellac, lacquer, and also poly clear coats all work well. Increase your laser power a bit over what you'd normally use for bare wood when engraving.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)