Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I like tools - especially those made by the user.

I like tools - especially those made by the user.

So lets see what you've made.

I guess I'll have to put my money where my mouth is. So these are what i made a while back. Steel for the paring chisels was cut out and hardened professionally but everything else is made and shaped by hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Very nicely done!

Wow, those are gorgeous. Now let's see you route the profile on that table by hand!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    So lets see what you've made.

I guess I'll have to put my money where my mouth is. So these are what i made a while back. Steel for the paring chisels was cut out and hardened professionally but everything else is made and shaped by hand.
    It's sufficiently stout..

Wow those chisels look to be really well made. They almost have a Blue Spruce look to them. I'm assuming you have yourself some sort of milling machine. Well done!

Very nice Brian!

I've only made a couple of tools, and they all have a prison-esque look about them. Scrap metal, scrap wood, handles wrapped in tape, and they look like they were sharpened on a cinder block. They got the job done, but there's no way I'm posting a photo

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Beautifully done!
    Great attention to detail.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Beautiful Chisels!
    Can you post a tutorial?

I've made some planes. Nothing so beautiful, but they are useful.
    Last edited by Jeff Wittrock; 06-01-2011 at 7:13 PM.

That's hillarious. Mine all look like something from somebodys nose...dirty, malformed and boogery. I made a marking knife and it looks like something from conan the barbarian. Its actually a sweet throwing mini dart. It'll stick in fence thrown from about thirty feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Maiers View Post
    Very nice Brian!

I've only made a couple of tools, and they all have a prison-esque look about them. Scrap metal, scrap wood, handles wrapped in tape, and they look like they were sharpened on a cinder block. They got the job done, but there's no way I'm posting a photo

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wittrock View Post
    Beautiful Chisels!
    Can you post a tutorial?

Sorry I didn't document the process.

I have already saved, into my inspiration and reference library, the pics of plane # 2, do you have any others of plane # 3 from different angles? I like your style.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Sorry I didn't document the process.

I'm often guilty of the same thing.

Can you tell me what steel you used?
    Did you start with something like 1/4" thick bar stock?
    Those really are some nice looking chisels and I would love to try something like that someday.

... do you have any others of plane # 3 from different angles?
    I took a few pictures of the small smoother as I made it here
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?144984-My-first-infill&highlight=
    Last edited by Jeff Wittrock; 06-01-2011 at 9:10 PM.

Excellent Brian. I like them. Did you "machine" the metal or did you neander it with files and cinder blocks? I'd vote for machining, much more fun!
    The Plane Anarchist

Thx for the compliments but come on guys throw them up and lets see. How else we gonna come up with ideas on what to make next.

Years of being on forums and I only just now figured out how to multi quote

Quote Originally Posted by john brenton View Post
    Now let's see you route the profile on that table by hand!!
    I have a semester break coming up and that's on the list of things to do, but I'll be using the router plane attached below that I made a few years back. That and a few chisels and other things that I'll work out when I get into it. I thought about throwing it on the lathe but that would be too easy . I don't do it for a living anymore so I enjoy the challenges of doing things the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Wow those chisels look to be really well made. They almost have a Blue Spruce look to them. I'm assuming you have yourself some sort of milling machine. Well done!
    If you count a 12" disk mounted to a lathe and a 4" angle grinder as milling machines then yes I have a few .

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Maiers View Post
    Why. I wasn't wanting a beauty contest I want to pinch your ideas Everyone has something worth looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Excellent Brian. I like them. Did you "machine" the metal or did you neander it with files and cinder blocks? I'd vote for machining, much more fun!
    The steel on the heavy bevel edge chisels is O1 and was cut and shaped with a 4" angle grinder and 12" disk sander. The paring chisels were made from M2 and came cut out and hardened and I did the cleaning, shaping, bevels and refining with the disk sander, angle grinder and my version of a bench grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wittrock View Post
    I couldn't put a finger on it but all the elements come together very well.

That router plane looks almost too pretty to use.

Thx for the compliments but come on guys throw them up and lets see. How else we gonna come up with ideas on what to make next.

I have a semester break coming up and that's on the list of things to do, but I'll be using the router plane attached below that I made a few years back. That and a few chisels and other things that I'll work out when I get into it. I thought about throwing it on the lathe but that would be too easy . I don't do it for a living anymore so I enjoy the challenges of doing things the hard way.

If you count a 12" disk mounted to a lathe and a 4" angle grinder as milling machines then yes I have a few .

Why. I wasn't wanting a beauty contest I want to pinch your ideas Everyone has something worth looking at.

The steel on the heavy bevel edge chisels is O1 and was cut and shaped with a 4" angle grinder and 12" disk sander. The paring chisels were made from M2 and came cut out and hardened and I did the cleaning, shaping, bevels and refining with the disk sander, angle grinder and my version of a bench grinder.

Dude...that is the prettiest router plane I've ever seen in my life. Wow, that is spectacular.

Last edited by Zahid Naqvi; 06-06-2011 at 10:39 AM.