Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall-O-Tools

Wall-O-Tools

I've finished building a storage wall for all my tools to replace pegboards and random drawers and cabinets scattered all over the shop. I borrowed lots of ideas from things I've seen here and elsewhere. Simple, cheap, and effective.

img_1060.jpg

img_1063.jpg

Details and more photos at www.closegrain.com/2011/02/workshop-reorganization.html
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Verrry nice. What are the dimensions? Can you make a note to update us onhow the layout is working for you, and what may have changed, in, say, 6 months or so?
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Steve,

Thanks for showing your layout and construction steps as you built it. It's really helping me visualize where I want to go with mine over time! Nice work too!

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

That's looks great!

Steve, that is simply awesome!

That looks terrific, and I am very jealous.

I think you need one more chisel....hoot!

Very nice layout. Well done !

The "you suck" award can't be far behind !

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Verrry nice. What are the dimensions? Can you make a note to update us onhow the layout is working for you, and what may have changed, in, say, 6 months or so?
    Thanks, everybody! This came out to just under 11' wide, 4' tall. I'll definitely update after I get some time in using it like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Beadle View Post
    I think you need one more chisel....hoot!

Very nice layout. Well done !

The "you suck" award can't be far behind !
    You're right, I only have in-cannel gouges, I need some out-cannel gouges! And I would be honored to suck among this crowd!
    Steve, mostly hand tools. Click on my name above and click on "Visit Homepage" to see my woodworking blog.

Steve,
    I think you'll find your system is far superior to a box or cabinet. Having the tools close at hand is a real advantage, plus it looks cool. I have never understood the draw for an enclosed toolbox unless you need to be mobile. My set up is similar though it is more evolutionary than revolutionary.

Rick

That looks great, I'd like to see some higher resolution pics, if possible, so I can swipe some ideas for tool holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    That looks great, I'd like to see some higher resolution pics, if possible, so I can swipe some ideas for tool holders.
    You can get a bigger image if you click on the additional pictures in the blog entry. If that's not enough detail, I can take some more closer up, just let me know which ones you're interested in. Most of them follow the same pattern.

On second thought, it's a terrible set-up! Where are the empty slots for future tools?! Rick

I enjoyed reading about this on your blog. In fact, your blog is one of the two that I keep bookmarked (Derek's being the other). It just struck me that your wall rack is the same length as my work shop! I'm not even sure if I have 11 feet of continuous wall space anywhere in my little house. I like a lot of your ideas, and you're helping me to figure out how to get my tools efficiently stored into a small space. Thanks for sharing!
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lapp View Post
    On second thought, it's a terrible set-up! Where are the empty slots for future tools?! Rick
    There is that one last 2' section of pegboard that I could replace with another panel, plus about another foot before the basement door. Plenty of room for expansion!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Baldwin III View Post
    I enjoyed reading about this on your blog. In fact, your blog is one of the two that I keep bookmarked (Derek's being the other). It just struck me that your wall rack is the same length as my work shop! I'm not even sure if I have 11 feet of continuous wall space anywhere in my little house. I like a lot of your ideas, and you're helping me to figure out how to get my tools efficiently stored into a small space. Thanks for sharing!
    The nice thing about these modular panels is they can be mounted on multiple walls, just keep adding them in any increments as you need and surround yourself with tools.

looks great, but i dont see a place for your coffee cup.

really nice job though.