Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe tool rack designs

Lathe tool rack designs

Does anyone have suggestions or plans for a wall mount over lathe tool rack? I know that most are fairly simple, but I really don't want my tools falling down on my lathe as soon as I put some vibration in to the floor.

Thanks,
    Ron

Ron,

Here is a picture of the one I built (similar to the ones everyone else builds). Works great. I need a either a bigger one or another one...now!

-------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

My lathe tools are mostly all piled up on my workbench so I really need a rack of some kind. My problem is that, because my shop is in a tent, there is no way to mount a rack on the wall. So mine is going to have to be free standing....
    David DeCristoforo

I like my tools business end up so that I can see which tool I am grabbing for.
    The rack is pieces of PVC tube screwed to a 1x6. The upper screw is recessed inside the tube, so there is an oversized hole to access it. The lower screw spans the bottom of the tube and prevents the tool from falling through. The rear rank uses two long screws in an attempt to make the more distant tool stand a little higher. Be aware that if you don't stagger the height of the screws you will split the wood.
    Chips and sawdust cannot collect in the tube, because the bottom is open except for the screw spanning the bottom.
    There is a horizontal board in front of the rack with holes to accept the stem of tool rests, Morse taper adapters and such.
    Harvey
    Attached Images Attached Images

I made a tool bucket, with a 5 gal paint bucket, and several 1.5" PVC pipe sections. I put a cap on one end, and a coupler on the other. The cap is to keep the tool from punching out the bottom of the bucket, and the couplers are to keep the pipes separated at the top. Fill in the viods with expanding foam. A crumpled paper helps keep the tips from getting dulled as they go into the PVC. Although I think the PVC won't realy hurt the tools. Since everything in my "shop" has to move, this is a good portable option, for those that lack a real shop where you can mount things on a wall. It's also handy for taking tools on a demo trip. The reason I know this in my 2 lathes are in front and in back of my house, and I have to tote tools back and forth. I really have no "Demo" skills.

"...The rack is pieces of PVC tube..."

I just might steal this idea. It looks like it would be perfect for a simple "free standing" design. Plus it looks scary as hell with all that sharp stuff sticking up!
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    My lathe tools are mostly all piled up on my workbench so I really need a rack of some kind. My problem is that, because my shop is in a tent, there is no way to mount a rack on the wall. So mine is going to have to be free standing....
    Hi David.

For a lathe tool rack I copied one I saw in a magazine. All you need is a rack made like Scott's above. Then you go one step farther. Cut a piece of ply that will slide in the 'way' of lathe. Take a look at how your tail stock is secured. Drill a hole in the center of the ply and up through the bottom the the rack . Slide a flange bolt through the two holes, put a knob on the end, slide the ply and flange bolt under the lathe way slot and tighten the bolt.
    You now a a rack the you can slide around the end of your lathe, behind the tail stock.
    Best Regards, Ken

Ron, here is a .pdf that I made from info provided by other creekers responding to the same question. This is pretty typical, but I like Scott's additional shelf addition.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey Ken, no pictures, you dont have a tool rack.My mustard-seed sized imagination cant conjure up what you are saying. Max

A timely topic. I have an old kitchen cabinet on the wall over my lathe area. Shorter recessed cabinets that would be above where a sink would be is where I was planning on putting my tools but I would be restricted on lifting them straight up, so this style rack looks like it would fit the bill nicely for me too.

I also considered going with magnetic strips on the wall instead of a rack. Are there drawbacks to using magnetic strips to hold gouges?
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Check out this post.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...1394339&page=2

The attachement is a drawing of the tool racks that I made.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I just completed this tool rack last week. I based it on the one I saw on The Woodturning Workshop. At 48" across it does take up a bit of wall space but I was tired of walking across the shop for tools.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey M. Taylor View Post
    Hey Ken, no pictures, you dont have a tool rack.My mustard-seed sized imagination cant conjure up what you are saying. Max
    Harvey, it seemed clear to me (until I read it again.)

OK here are some pix I took a few minutes ago.

First is the Nova DVR lathe, and cabinet I built last year.
    Lathe-and-cabinet.jpg

The remaining pics are: 1. the rack, 2 the mounting clamp, and 3 a closeup of the mounting clamp.
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 09-03-2010 at 6:04 PM.
    Best Regards, Ken

Something Different

Lolly column rotating tool holder.

IMG_0134.jpgIMG_0136.jpgIMG_0138.jpg

And some more tool storage on the wall behind the lathe. Nothing fancy. Just some scraps.

IMG_0139.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Ron, here is a .pdf that I made from info provided by other creekers responding to the same question. This is pretty typical, but I like Scott's additional shelf addition.
    I built the same but I like the additional shelf as on Scott's. The next iteration which will be soon will have the shelf.

One minor problem I have with mine (Scott's w/o the shelf) is that chips collect on the horizontal surfaces behind the tools and can't be cleaned off short of blasting them with an air hose or removing all the tools. I think I will angle the middle holders to the same angle as the bottom holder to shed the chips.

"The best things in life are not things."