Thread: Cocobolo & Ebony Jewelry Box

Blog Entries

Cocobolo & Ebony Jewelry Box

Well.... I'm calling this box done. After spending the night in shop getting all lacquer happy .

I will check it out tomorrow, I may have to do a little touch up.

I need to make the tray. The tray has to fit in the long way, as the tray supports are in the ends. I am thinking cocobolo sides with an ebony bottom and about 1/3 the width of the opening. Using my remaining thin strips from the lid, make some sort of criss cross pattern for the tray cubbies. Then, decorate the front with some diamond shaped buttons out of that ebony....But, that's a project in and of itself. I'll show it to ya when I finish it...and I'll show you the inside of that lid then...I don't want to touch it until tomorrow.

I have to say, that this project was one of the funnest things I've done and the cocobolo is, so far, the prettiest wood I've worked with.

Thanks to all ya'all for making me push myself - knowing that ya'all will be puttin' the microscope to it. I think, for me.... that is one of the biggest benefits of being a contributor to this forum. As it makes us all, better woodworkers - one way or another.

Thanks to ya'all too... for following the board to box project in progress....

As always, comments & critiques are appreciated. And, sorry for the photo's.... but with all those angles and all that lacquer - this thing reflected any incoming light.... I took about 100 pictures, and these were the best ones in terms of reflections...

that is one fine bow, I think the cocobolo was a good choice and your craftsmanship just made it better

beautiful box.... a handmedown for generations!!!!

Great looking cocobolo jewelry box Ed.
    Nice touch on the corners.

Make sure to give us a pic when the tray is done..

Looking back to your inspiration models you have topped them.. Nice work!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Ed, I really like how you kept that box simple, elegant and beautiful. The subtle black accents with the splines, etc., are just wonderful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice Ed an keepsake for sure.

I love it Ed. Could you get one of the finished box open as I seem to have missed how you got the sloped sides. I see from the link how the top was done but the bottom has eluded me.

Edit... opps... I missed page two on the link so disregard on how the overall slopes got there which is how I figured you did it.

Sarge..
    Last edited by John Thompson; 12-23-2008 at 1:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Guys...... And the bevelled sides were really quite easy.... Just tilt the blade 15* and set it up so that 1/2" is left (measure from the inside of the box)... and run it through, do the other side, flip the box over and run it through again. Reset it for the ends....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    Thanks Guys...... And the bevelled sides were really quite easy.... Just tilt the blade 15* and set it up so that 1/2" is left (measure from the inside of the box)... and run it through, do the other side, flip the box over and run it through again. Reset it for the ends....
    I wouldn't mind doing one for my niece. But... I don't have to remember how as when I get to that part... I throw in in the Dakota... drive about 15 miles and I'll nap whike you cut it.. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Just kidding of course, Ed. You and yours have a Happy Holiday up the road where the Falcon's are cooking up the Holiday meal in Flowery Branch it appears.

Sarge..

Blog Entries
    Sure thing Sarge..... By the way, those falcons put my home team (Vikings) out of commission last week.... My spy videos must not be getting to Childress... lol
    Last edited by Ed Sallee; 12-23-2008 at 1:35 PM.

Excellent !!

Great design, and you kept it simple, which leads to beauty !!
    MARK