Thread: DJ20 Jointer Question

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

DJ20 Jointer Question

Hi all.
    Does anyone know a way to loosen the tension on the guard on the DJ20 jointer? When I joint a wide board, the guard swings back and pounds on the fence with a lot of force. Can't be good for it - or am I just worrying too much? BTW, the jointer is 3 years old now, I had thought it would self correct with a little wear and tear, but no....

Thanks in advance.

Have a DJ20 that had the opposite problem, guard too loose, wouldn't swing back. It is adjustable, a little tricky as I remember. There is an allen screw on top, a nut underneth. You have to loosen the nut while holding the screw with the allen wrench, sorta using the guard to set tension required (changing its position relative to the fence) with your third hand! Maybe some one can explain this better, but I know it is adjustable.

It has been a four years since I owned one, If I remember there is a set screw in the side of the bracket on the side of the table & a set screw in the top of the guard shaft. Put an allen wrench in the top set screw & hold on to it while you loosen the side set screw. After you loosen the side set screw the top set screw will try to unwind. Let it unwind until you have the right tension & the retighten the side set screw. As I said this is from memory of about 4 years ago.

DJ-20 Guard Tension

Chris has it right. Loosen the 6mm bolt running through the center of the guard pivot shaft. Turn the top cap (the round black piece through which the 6mm bolt passes) clockwise to add tension, counter clockwise to remove tension. You will notice that it will only take about an 1/8 to 1/4 turn to go from loose to "slamming" tight. While holding the upper cap at the desired tension, tighten the 6mm bolt. I was able to adjust mine so that when the fence is furthest from the guard, full 8" cutter head exposed, the guard stops within a 1/4 " of the fence. Trial and error, but it won't take too long. In the second photo I have moved the guard to my bench clamp, but that is not required, it can be done on the machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the correction Frederick.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    Thanks all. It worked like a charm, the guide just gently touches the fence now. This is definitely THE PLACE to come for information!
    Last edited by Jesse Cloud; 02-09-2008 at 4:08 PM.