Thread: A very interesting video on the BS

A very interesting video on the BS

A very interesting video on the BS
    >>>http://falbergsaws.net/ConvertibilityJr.wmv<<<

An interesting article in the March 2007 issue of Woodshop News describes the test process and results of Falberg's bandsaw blade testing.

The article does not state brand names or model names of saw blades, but instead comes to a generalized conclusion on the best type of blade to get a straight cut. Note that a straight cut is a different animal than a smooth cut.

Many times I've run into problems resawing veneer thin cuts. Using a thin kerf blade may get a smooth cut with minimal waste. But waves in the cut end up making the some of the veneer unusable. I always thought it was my technique, or blade tension, or guide setup, or funky wood. Yeah, funky wood, that's the problem. not me.

Falberg concludes that a higher set angle results in a straighter cut. It's more important than blade tension or guide setup. In fact, it is the opposite of my thin kerf, wide blade setup. He sounds pretty convincing, and it does explain some of my wandering blade experiences.

The article seems to be a general summary of Falberg's white paper on the subject at http://falbergsaws.net/Guide.pdf.

Another way of looking at his conclusion is; given two blades that are identical except in their width, a 1/2 inch blade will cut straighter than a 1 inch blade. Does that make sense? So why did I spend so much on my wide Lenox Trimaster?

rick
    "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Dave Barry

interesting but not very scientific and the conclusion was a joke

Lou