Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Done! Solid Body Electric Guitar

Finally Done! Solid Body Electric Guitar

There have been a couple of sneak preview shots of this guitar over the past couple of weeks along with some helpful discussion from some of the experts here. Well....it's finally done. It's a solid body electric guitar made from mahogany, curly maple, and birdseye maple. The finish is Minwax spray polyurethane over a few coats of Waterlox. Special thanks to Vaughn and Alan for their technical help, and to my good friend Tom for the curly maple and the use of his MM16.

I bought the neck from locally from Stutzman's Guitar Center (what a great place for you Rochester folks or visitors). It uses two single Fender Strat pickups and a an OLP "John Petrucci" humbucker. I've got a couple of Ibanez Affinity humbuckers on order that we may play with later on. There are also a set of gold finish strap pegs coming to replace the silver ones.

I don't play but my 16 year old son does. When we started out I was just hoping it would work. Turns out we got lucky in a big way because it sounds and plays great according to him....it sounds alot more alive than his Behringer Strat clone even to me, and the switches reveal alot more diverse sounds....it hoots, howls, growls, twangs, and rips! His says it "hammers" way better and "sustains" more (new terms to me ...I guess that's good!) A challenging but very rewarding project....a Visa commercial definitely came to mind the first time I watched him play it.

Last edited by scott spencer; 10-03-2006 at 9:52 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

That really turned out WONDERFUL!!! It's a looker, for sure...and it sounds [sic] like it sounds really good too...the ultimate compliment to the builder! Nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Saweeet! Nice job. I can hear Tyler now though: No sound file - it didn't happen.
    Use the fence Luke

IT looks awesome...nice clean lines!

Scott,

That is ONE BEAUTIFUL guitar......nice work!!

I can hear all your sons' friends saying - "Your Dad made it?? That is awesome!!!!"

It's nice to make something your kids will treasure....good stuff!

Thumbs up

My hat is off to you Scotty!!! I know what a difficult project this was for you, but you really nailed it! It looks great, and I know that Cullen will treasure it for the rest of his days. I'm sure you increased your skill level tenfold on this guitar. Congratulations, it looks BEAUTIFUL!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Scott. Congratulations on a well executed project. the guitar looks great!

Joe

Congrats to you Scott. That is a beautiful guitar for a first or one of many. Awesome and I think the last sentence of your post says it all. Awesome job Dad!

Corey

I love it! That's a real beauty. Love your choice of woods, adds a lot to the playability and character of it's sound.

Beautiful!

Scott,
    Great craftmanship. Love the wood choice. Nice finish too.
    Dave

Very nice!! There's a guy in my neck of the woods that builds guitars like yours also. Keep up the good work.

Just beautiful! Nice work.

So it really can be done! and done well apparently. Awesome job.

I'd be interested to know some details about it's construction. How long did it take? Did you use a particular plan? Any gotchas for anyone thinking about doing the same project?

Tim

Blog Entries
    Very nice Scott. As an ex-rocker (not guitar) I've seen a guitar or two. That's a looker. Dig the modified tension nut cover.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Beautiful work.
    Did you sign or add a "made by" logo anywhere?