Thread: Finally some progress on the elm nightstands

Finally some progress on the elm nightstands

Last summer I started on "his and hers" nightstands from red elm. A roof, Christmas projects, winter, and shoulder surgery significantly hindered progress, but I'm finally seeing some daylight.

There were a few shortcuts from the original plan, but at this stage I just really want this project done. The corbels got scrapped, but can be added later. The through mortise and tenon joints didn't happen...pocket holes were so much faster and simpler. The dovetail drawers got sacked for a cob job, and I hope to redo the drawers completely at some future date. I'm appalled at my craftsmanship in a few places that don't show up much in the pics, but considering the year we've had and the application, they're gonna be fine.

IMHO the grain on the red elm is stunning, but that stuff is a little fussy to work with. The pics don't show much of the secondary "ghost" grain that runs in between much of the visible primary grain...very interesting wood to stare at. Elm is prone to movement after dimensioning, so I learned to dimension it, let it acclimate, and redimension as needed. It's also prone to fuzzing on many of the cuts regardless of the quality or sharpness of the blades or bits....it's very stalky stringy stuff. Some of the rabbet cuts resulted in a long curl that looked like it came off a hand plane. Some of the end grain cuts had fuzz that was stiff enough to draw blood. It's like cutting petrified celery!

The finish is BLO/mineral spirits...first time with that, but I like it. One set of black door hinges and attaching the top of the "hers" version is all that stand between me and being done. Here's a pic of "his" (aka mine).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scott spencer; 09-10-2006 at 8:07 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Scott, Nice looking cabinet, I like the design.

Very nice, Scott nice to see projects made out of the less known woods. Looks a lot like ash. I really like the design.

Hey Scott...I like your night stand but your quote "Very interesting wood to stare at"....

When the LOML catches me "staring at wood grain" I get that What's wrong with you !!! look. Good to know I'm not the only one.

nice to see an elm piece. I am sure it was a challange to work with, but it will not come apart in your lifetime
    lou

Very nice Scott. You don't often see it but it looks great! What router bit profile on the edge treatment did you use?

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by john whittaker
    Hey Scott...I like your night stand but your quote "Very interesting wood to stare at"....

When the LOML catches me "staring at wood grain" I get that What's wrong with you !!! look. Good to know I'm not the only one.
    Gooo! There's at least two of us!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    Very nice Scott. You don't often see it but it looks great! What router bit profile on the edge treatment did you use?

Corey
    Thanks Corey. The profile on the top edge was just a table edge bit, along with a 1/4" roundover along the bottom edge of the top. (Holbren's great for stuff like that!)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery
    Very nice, Scott nice to see projects made out of the less known woods. Looks a lot like ash. I really like the design.
    I've always thought that the grain in elm has a similar flow and contrast to stained ash. Those secondary grain lines and the naturally darker color are the most distinctive difference.