Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage Shop Under Development

Garage Shop Under Development

Well I am 55 and have been thinking a bit about retirement; however the fear of not knowing what to do with all the excess time I would have has prompted much thought. I have for the better part of my life been very handy, mostly out of necessity, and have enjoyed working with wood. Stick built a 16'x8' shed, fireplace mantel, picnic table, etc. (you get the idea) Mostly things you could build with a circular saw and some other tower hand tools. I did have a Craftsman table saw, Band Saw and a medium size bench top drill press. I decided I would like to refine my woodworking skill and with the blessing of my lovely wife, sold all those tool and more and purchased higher quality machines. I began transforming our 2 car garage that never saw a car parked in it, into my new woodworking shop. It is still a work in progress and after a year of building and buying this is the result. I am not kidding myself, I know it's likely this shop will never be done, but I think I'm close to starting my first non-shop furniture project - a computer desk. I have other pics that I will post in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nick Mastropietro; 11-20-2009 at 8:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    Nice looking shop. I am looking at retirement in about a year and will be doing something similar. Right now I am upgrading tools while I have a good income string and will move after retirement so I'm not sure at this point what the shop will be like. I study the posts like yours to "borrow" ideas.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Great looking shop you got there. You were'nt kidding when you decided to upgrade, as those are some serious sawdust producers. I plan to post some pics as soon as I get this pic posting thing figured out. Have fun and watch those fingers.

Hi Nick,

I retired about 10 years ago. I am so busy now I don't know where I ever found time to work. I can't find any "excess time"... Retire as soon as you can, and enjoy life. There is a lot of wood that needs cutting...

Your shop is looking great. Nice looking tools. You can do some serious woodworking with those tools.

Sam

Sam

Thanks for the encouragement, I figure 4 years or so. I would like to get the house paid by then, that would help make the slide into retirement a bit easier. I hope you love for woodworking hasn't become a job, that is unless that was your intention. I did that with computers, it started as a hobby and then figured I could make some money with that hobby, I did, but soon it was just another job with all the headaches. I will not let that happen with my love of wood.

Thanks again I appreciate your comments as well as all the others.

Great looking tools! I think you are going to need to take some of that stuff off the jointer before you use it. At least your cords are hanging somewhere, a few of mine are just sitting on the floor . Fortunately not right in front of the tablesaw, like a friend of mine. I move them everytime I go to his shop.

Robert

Love the Avatar - I'm a Stooge fan, if the truth be known, some would say I should omit the fan part. Well as you can see the shop is a work in progress. I have a retractable cord reel, in a box, somewhere, I think . You get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mastropietro View Post
    ........... sold all those tool and more and purchased higher quality machines..........
    Nick, Nick, Nick........what're you doing, posting those photos? Don't you realize what you've just done?

I hope you've sandbagged the perimeter, because the "Never Buy that Powermatic Junk from Taiwan" SWAT team is coming after you. It's only a matter of time.

BTW - I love my PM stuff. They haven't found me yet. Your shop looks great. Lemme know if you need someone to watch your back.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Kent

Am I glad you chimed in, I never realized that there might be a diabolical element here at the creek. I promise now that I know you have my back, we will stand back to back and defend the right to choose what ever woodworking tools we choose to use, yes even the Tiawan PM stuff. By the way every piece was square right out of the crate and they run like a swiss made fine time piece. Not exactly what I hear from some here on the creek. But I'm not like some others I believe working with wood, no matter the tool brand, should be a brotherhood. Keep a sharp eye for other PM guys who may need our support.
    Last edited by Nick Mastropietro; 11-20-2009 at 4:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mastropietro View Post
    however the fear of not knowing what to do with all the excess time I would have
    If you do "retirement" right, you won't have any excess time, and if you do retirement right, it will be the best job you ever had.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Only bad thing about retirement is that you lose your weekends.

I have about 4 years to go to retirement. The current garage is full. If anything comes in, then something must go. Seems now, the projects are getting more complex. Plantation shutters, Maloof style rocker, upgrade the kitchen cabinets -- more rocking chairs.

I can see that if I do it right, the shop will become my next occupation. It won't be profitable, but it will be fun. Who said that it was difficult to adjust to six Saturdays and a Sunday?
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

Nick, all of my woodworking has been for LOML and I. I do hope to make some money at it someday so I can buy some more tools.

I did like you, before I retired I tried to buy all of my big tools. Problem is, they keep coming up with new things that you can not live without...

Von got it right. No Excess time.

Bob, I never though about giving up my weekends when I retired, darn... I'll go with Fred's idea, six Sat's and one Sun, thats good for me.

Sam

I'm thinking you made some salesperson very happy with all those new mustard machines in your shop..
    Great picks! (I have a couple myself)
    All you need now is the mustard lathe to complete the package.

Enjoy making some sawdust with the new toys Nick.
    And post some pics of that computer desk when it rolls out of your shop.

Happy Salesperson - Oh ya !

Rich at Redmond Machine in Georgia was a very happy guy in deed. I was pretty happy too, 10% off, free lift gate delivery, free quart of wood glue. Shipping alone saved about $1600.00. Great guy and a great company to do business with. As for posting pics of the computer desk - well you know how that’s going to go, if it turns out good, I’ll show it, if not I'll burn it.