Thread: One more about the Veritas VMII chisels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Brian, I also understand it being about technique.

When chopping, I do not take more than 1mm slices (at most).

Two different individuals may use the same blade and get different results. I'd say my technique is appropriate. That is not to say it cannot be done better.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Brian, I also understand it being about technique.

When chopping, I do not take more than 1mm slices (at most).

Two different individuals may use the same blade and get different results. I'd say my technique is appropriate. That is not to say it cannot be done better.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    The picture was helpful.

That's one approach or technique, a slow one. Another approach which I also use now and then (depending on my mood and type of wood!) is to bang the heck out of it in 2mm slices or more (?) (never measured them). That's quick, furious may I say. Yes, edges dull quicker, but honing the edge back (32 - 35 degrees, again never used an angle gauge to check) takes just seconds (or a minute or two tops; again never timed it).

So, techniques are important but different techniques may bring the same outcomes..."streets ahead" or behind most likely is just a perception thing here.

Simon

Blog Entries
    That's one approach or technique, a slow one.
    My recollection is Derek saws the waste before the final chopping of the waste. My recollector could be on the blink.

My favorite chisels for paring away the waste of dovetail and other joinery are my thin blade Buck Brothers chisels. With an approximately 15 - 20º bevel the edge is prone to quickly fading or micro chipping. They can be quickly touched up on oilstones and be back to work in no time.

For mallet work there are plenty of other chisels available.

Different folks have different motivations. Some want a minimalist accumulation around their shop. The more stuff there is the more storage space it will take. One can only envy how much easier it is to grab a chisel for paring which is the same chisel used for every other chisel task. Try to imagine the situation in my shop when a decision has to be made about which 1/4" chisel to dig up to be used for a specific task. Then imagine the extra work of keeping them all sharp at their different bevel angles.

If there is one set of chisels that can "do it all," then that is the super-secret chisel technique.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

One can only envy how much easier it is to grab a chisel for paring which is the same chisel used for every other chisel task.

If there is one set of chisels that can "do it all," then that is the super-secret chisel technique.

jtk
    And then there is the situation where someone has one set of chisels and is damn glad for that. Making do is not a sin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    And then there is the situation where someone has one set of chisels and is damn glad for that. Making do is not a sin.
    Yes, my days of only having one or two planes and not many more chisels isn't that far behind me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The following is a set of circa 1960s Marples Boxwood Firmer Chisels that I use regular in my workshop. Would I trade these in to purchase a set of Veritas PMV-11 Chisels. Not a chance. Their beautifully designed, they hold and retain an excellent edge, and can be re-sharpened with my choice of oil or water stones.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 12-03-2017 at 9:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    The following is a set of circa 1960s Marples Boxwood Firmer Chisels that I use regular in my workshop. Would I trade these in to purchase a set of Veritas PMV-11 Chisels. Not a chance. Their beautifully designed, they hold and retain an excellent edge, and can be re-sharpened with my choice of oil or water stones.
    NEITHER WOULD I.

And that's a fact.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post

!+, my only difference is most of mine have a flat neck (pre 1930's or so). It's hard to improve on perfection. Of course as with all things wood YMMV.

ken