Thread: Best Shaper Under $5000?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Where are you located? Are you set on a new machine? Do you have three phase available?

I’m asking because you’re likely to be able to get a into a really nice older euro machine at that price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Crivello View Post
    Where are you located? Are you set on a new machine? Do you have three phase available?

I’m asking because you’re likely to be able to get a into a really nice older euro machine at that price point.
    I'm in Richmond VA. I've looked around quite a bit and haven't really found a good machine near me. Has to be single phase unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Baldwin View Post
    I'm in Richmond VA. I've looked around quite a bit and haven't really found a good machine near me. Has to be single phase unfortunately.
    Josh, I’m in Richmond ,now retired . There used to be a place that sold used machines. Don’t if there is one now. All the shops bought
    used stuff when I was working.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Josh, I’m in Richmond ,now retired . There used to be a place that sold used machines. Don’t if there is one now. All the shops bought
    used stuff when I was working.
    Hey Mel I'll look around for a used shop, but I'm not sure of one off the top of my head. Thanks

Right now on ebay a no name 10hp VFD is under $200. That should run a 5hp motor fine if it is really rated for single phase input. You will need one for each machine. In theory you can switch between multiple machines if they are all using the same HP motors.
    A single rotary converter can be used to supply all the three phase stuff in your shop. On ebay today a new American Rotary 10 hp is 1,200 delivered. A 20hp is under 2,000. It is recommended that a rotary be double the HP of the largest HP motor to get things started. A work around is to start some lower horsepower motors and let them run before turning on the too large motor. Jointer, duct collector, disk sander all work well as extra idler motors.
    A FVD output can not be switched. All switching must be done VFD off or using the low voltage wiring from the vfd. This means any machine switches can not be used or they must be rewired to control just the VFD. Rotary use any switch any way you want.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Right now on ebay a no name 10hp VFD is under $200. That should run a 5hp motor fine if it is really rated for single phase input. You will need one for each machine. In theory you can switch between multiple machines if they are all using the same HP motors.
    A single rotary converter can be used to supply all the three phase stuff in your shop. On ebay today a new American Rotary 10 hp is 1,200 delivered. A 20hp is under 2,000. It is recommended that a rotary be double the HP of the largest HP motor to get things started. A work around is to start some lower horsepower motors and let them run before turning on the too large motor. Jointer, duct collector, disk sander all work well as extra idler motors.
    A FVD output can not be switched. All switching must be done VFD off or using the low voltage wiring from the vfd. This means any machine switches can not be used or they must be rewired to control just the VFD. Rotary use any switch any way you want.
    Bill D
    Thanks for all the info on the 3 phase setup Bill. I thought I needed a converter for each machine, so only needing 1 definitely makes it more attractive. I'm still not sure it makes sense for my situation, but I'll definitely consider it.

I have a nice router table with a ton of bits, but in making a set of exterior doors I felt the need/want to get a shaper. I found a used Rockwell/Delta 3 HP shaper with a 3/4" spindle for a nice price, but found it limiting. That's when I got the itch to go bigger but not in the high horsepower realm like the Felder, Martin and others. I got the Hammer F3 shaper with sliding table, 1 1/4" spindle, tilting and 4 speeds. It is more than I need, especially since I am not a pro shop. But it has more than enough horsepower to run a wide assortment of cutters. Right now I am considering the router spindle for 1/2" bits and selling the router table. I can make a smaller table for using 1/4" shank bits; this would not take much space in my space-challenged shop.
    Just be prepared to spend some serious coin on some good quality cutters.