Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charred Rim Cherry Bowl

Charred Rim Cherry Bowl

Since I seem to be interested in playing with rims lately, here is another one. This piece is from one of the few trunk sections I kept when cutting a lot of cherry burl last spring. I don’t remember the exact reason I roughed it out in the shape I did. Maybe I was thinking about doing some inlay in the rim. Or perhaps I wanted the bowl portion to be all heartwood, and after finish turning, I would cut part of the rim away and be left with sapwood handles. My first thought this year was more beads and black dye, but ended up deciding to try something different.

A couple of months ago I attended a Nick Cook demo in Annapolis at a Chesapeake woodturners meeting. He must have done 15 different quick projects during the day. It was mostly spindle work, but his last demo was a small 6 inch plate where he burned the rim with a propane torch.

I don’t get to turn much cherry so it may not have been a good piece to practice on but I decided why not. I would leave the rim thick before burning so I could turn away the top if I messed up too badly. I didn’t care for a flat rim so gave it a slight crown.
    Charred Rim 1r.jpg

Then it was torch time.

Charred Rim 2r.jpg

After finish turning the inside and thinning out the rim from underneath, my wife came into the shop and commented that it was “too plain”. Since I felt much the same way, I decided to cut a couple of grooves though the black. I knew the outside of the rim had warped slightly and I wouldn’t get perfectly even grooves on the outer portion now , but decided to go ahead anyway.

Charred Rim 3r.jpgCharred Rim 4r.jpg

I would have liked to have burned a little deeper to create more texture, but after a small crack developed (just to the right of center at the bottom) I decided I had better quit.
    Charred Rim 5r.jpgCharred Rim Bottomr.jpgCharred Rim 7r.jpg

12.5” x 3” Finished with Bush Oil and buffed
    I am ok with it one minute and then not so sure the next. I would like to hear what you think, either up, down or sideways!
    All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

That looks fantastic. I have used the "scorching technique" many times but never on cherry. Ms Smith's comment led you to a great result!
    David DeCristoforo

very nice, personally i do not mind plain, Nick Cook does platters just llike that, you are in good company Baxter

Baxter, I like the rim treatment. I would imagine the torch was largely responsible for the warp, though eventually it may have moved some anyway. The cherry is a beautiful color and the Bush oil really makes a nice finish. I did one bowl with a down turned rim and didn't care for it. On this one, the crown gives the appearance of a down turned rim - though it really isn't. That part I don't care for so much.

Bax,
    I think any variation that keeps us from getting bored with plain bowls is worth a try. After all, it's only wood. The result is nice. I am curious, what is in the tob. I assumed it was water just in case but it also looks black.
    faust

Like the black rim against the cherry.. Sets it off well and if you left it on on the street it would walk away.
    C&C WELCOME

Really nice Baxter and the rim treatment really sets if off.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Baxter, that's striking.

All I can say is "What a great idea!" I really like it.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I really like the color combination here, do some more!

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I did one bowl with a down turned rim and didn't care for it. On this one, the crown gives the appearance of a down turned rim - though it really isn't. That part I don't care for so much.
    John, I think you are right about the turned down rim look. If I could redo this one, I think the first adjustment I would make would be a deeper curve into the bowl itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    ..... I am curious, what is in the tob. I assumed it was water just in case but it also looks black.
    faust
    Faust, there is a sponge somewhere in that water! It was there partly as a fire extinquisher if needed but I used it to wash off some of the charring so the grain of the wood becomes more visible.

This, like 99% of your stuff, is fantastic!! What do you think the difference would have been with dye vs burning...just texture? May have liked a curve to the outer lip...not sure.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Love how black and cherry seem to look so good together. Nice job and putting it all together. Rolled rims can be like chasing that proverbial ogee curve. If the apex is correct and the roll is continuous it can look good. Not an easy rim to produce. I like the idea and keep pushing that curve.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I think the only thing I would change would be to have the grooves in the rim a little wider (or maybe a couple more). Otherwise the black really goes well with the cherry. I like the form, too!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I like it! Love the color combo, the form and even the 'down-turned rim'! Nice work Baxter!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!