Thread: Combination Plane and Lee Valley feedback

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post

Link?
    Have to correct myself it's on page 10. I have no link just a glossy brochure. The front page clearly shows the top of the fence is exactly in line with the casting, front and back. That is different to how mine is assembled.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Have to correct myself it's on page 10. I have no link just a glossy brochure. The front page clearly shows the top of the fence is exactly in line with the casting, front and back. That is different to how mine is assembled.
    Is this the brochure? http://www.leevalley.com/us/html/Com...e2017USpdf.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Thanks, I'd never seen that brochure.

Somebody did indeed overset the nicker of the example on p. 10 at some point and then try to run the fence under it. I wonder if that was one of their WIA samples? I'm surprised they missed that when they set up for the photo shoot though.

I just went and looked at my Stanley 55, which is an older type with sliding nickers like the LV, and sure enough some previous owner had done the same thing with it as well. I wonder if that was one of the things that motivated Stanley's switch to fixed-depth ("clover-leaf style") nickers. The Stanley has 0.06" of clearance between fence and main skate, so it has basically the same [non-]issues in this regard as the LV.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-09-2017 at 8:57 PM.

The LV has 0.0625" between the top of the fence casting and the skate bottom. This would be the same for the fence on the catalogue front page sample.

Thanks David for the link.

I have my date set at the store with their trainer. He has experienced wracking and loose knobs also on occasion. Sounds like my fence will get replaced along the way. We planned a very hands on experience with various woods. I will post results and some pictures of course.

Blog Entries
    How are you guys getting along with the combination plane? I love mine.

Yep, I love mine too, though have not done much beyond grooving and some test dados. Miles beyond the Record 043 I had before. And all the bling still makes me smile.

Malcolm, any progress on that table leg?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra