Thread: Calling all owners of Lie-Nielsen Scraping Planes; 212 112 85

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    The video Pat cited is actually really good IMO. The shavings are "fluffy enough", and there are several aspects (spelled out in another post) that demonstrate that he's making good use of a hooked scraper.
    No Patrick ... or perhaps we are focussed on two separate issues (I agree that it was a good video). In the picture to which Pat referred (which constituted mostly dust and just a few shavings), Pat commented, "Thanks Stewie, that's what I was attempting to describe. More like dust than shavings because very little material being removed". My earlier comment was that scraping is about cutting and creating shavings, not creating dust. The video that was linked to shows Brian Boggs making shavings. Lots of shavings. Any dust is incidental, not deliberate. Boggs commented when the shavings have become finer and finer - "that almost dust and little bit of shavings". He is describing the scraper burnishing at a late stage. This was the last stage of the process he was going through. It is right at the end. It does not represent the process of scraping, per se. To say that dust and scraping are synonymous is misleading.

Regards from Cape Town

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-07-2018 at 3:44 PM.