Thread: Epoxy fiberglass assistant

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Looks like a nice boat. Yes, some radial arm saw procedures are not for the faint of heart but can be done safely provided you understand what can go wrong and take appropriate precautions. The picture in post #10 isn't showing up.
    I have problems uploading photographs here. I wonder why the first four worked, then the last one in the second email did not. They were all done the same way at the same time. I will look into it. I have reported my symptoms to tech support here but they say it is not them.

The boat looks great. Nice job, both of you.

Curious about the strongback with only two legs under it. Do you know, or can you find out, how thick the side rails are? It looks like a 18 foot canoe, maybe a 20, but only two legs under the strongback. The two legs there are look like triple 3/4 plywood, for 2.25" nominal, but I know single layer 3/4 ply for the sides of the strongback won't be enough. Did your friend double or triple the side rails of the strong back?

I am asking because my shop floor isn't very flat. I was thinking four legs for a 16 foot boat, but it will be living heck to level. If I can thicken up the side rails on my strongback and only have to level two legs/ four contact points my life will be easier.

Maple racing stripes. Gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    The boat looks great. Nice job, both of you.

Curious about the strongback with only two legs under it. Do you know, or can you find out, how thick the side rails are? It looks like a 18 foot canoe, maybe a 20, but only two legs under the strongback. The two legs there are look like triple 3/4 plywood, for 2.25" nominal, but I know single layer 3/4 ply for the sides of the strongback won't be enough. Did your friend double or triple the side rails of the strong back?

I am asking because my shop floor isn't very flat. I was thinking four legs for a 16 foot boat, but it will be living heck to level. If I can thicken up the side rails on my strongback and only have to level two legs/ four contact points my life will be easier.

Maple racing stripes. Gorgeous.
    Hi Scott, It is double in the middle 4ft where the plywood is spliced. He talked about sag and how he aligned the forms. But, I looked down the top and did not see any sag.

If you wanted to stiffen yours, it might do more good to put plywood on the bottom of the strong back making it a four-sided torsion box. In an I-beam, you get more stiffness from adding thickness to the flanges than the webbing.

Here is a pic from underneath.
    C291E38A-A350-4685-89A1-668D6EAAF1F7.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images