Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to charge?

What to charge?

My wife took her candy dish (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=91809) to work last week and managed to show it to quite a few folks (good for her!) before getting it filled with candy and placed on her desk. She has a couple of guys who work in her building want to either order a like item or buy the candy dish that she has, which she refuses to do even though I told her she could keep whatever she sold it for. So, having done NO shows or any sales type events – I am asking what would be a fair and realistic price for a similar turning? I know the basic drill of: it all depends on what the market will bear and what similar items go for in your area… (I’ve never seen anything like this here or anywhere) but, what would be a reasonable bottom end price?

I have no desire to gouge anyone but I also don’t want to just give it away. I look at this as another way to get my turnings out into the public and hopefully start to build a local reputation.

Appreciate any and all advice!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I read somewhere on another forum, that a calculated way to do it albeit a bit rough, to family and friends 3 times the purchase price of the timber, at craft fairs etc 4 to 5 times the purchase price of the timber and to gallery's 6 to 7 times the price of the timber, not sure if the theory works as I have never tried it
    Tioraidh an-drasda (gaelic for Cheerio just now)
    Colin .
    One good turn deserves another,

First off, you must have an entirely different arrangement with your wife when it comes to money than I have with mine. I would never be able to tell my wife she could keep the money. Instead I would ask her what happened to the money from the candy dish and she'd say "what money?".
    For something as novel as I thought your candy dish was, with the clear lid, I think it would be worth a little more than just a normal wood turning. I guess you could have her just ask them what they would give for it. Or you could tell her to tell them that Steve usually sells these for 80-90 bucks depending on the wood. But for you, he'd give you a deal. But both of those ideas makes you sound like a used car salesman (I apologize in advance if any of you are used car salesman). So you can see that I have the same problem with trying to determine what is a good number that satisfies both the "what's a good price?" and the "what will someone pay for this?" question. But I would think that $60 seems fair for the amount of work and ingenuity that went into the dish. Unless your wife works on Rodeo Drive or 5th Avenue and then of course the price would be much higher.

I have no doubt in my mind that this didn't help you at all!

How long would it take to make another like it and how much is your time worth? Then add materials cost plus any overhead.

Whatever you do, don't sell yourself short. Five years from now, they (and all of their friends/relatives that they show) will expect to pay similar prices for similar items.

Steve I sold one like that with a wood lid and just about the same size. Right or wrong I figured it this way. The blank cost me $15 (with shipping) so added $5 and I figured $20 per hour (took 1 1/2 hrs) plus $5 for finish/supplies equals $55. I would not take less than that. In our neck of the woods I can't sell things like they can elsewhere as we are a farming community and times are tough right now with no moisture. Stan is right about not selling to them cheaply. I sold a bowl for $20 to a friend that I should have gotten $40 for and now I have 5 of their friends that want one at the same price. Only my immediate family gets freebies and discounts.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 09-18-2008 at 7:40 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    I'm in the suburbs near Chicago.

Here i'd go at least $85.00 for those Steve.

Just make them very well no skipping sandpaper grits leaving a super finish you can hold your head up high when you say your price.

Make each one a little diffent so your not just duplicating them for a group at the same place who will all look at each others.

Where does your Wife work, not the exact place, but in general?

If it's an office type setting where most of those workers are college educated, then they can afford to pay more than say if it were a group of workers at walmart who liked and wanted one.

Keep that in mind.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

If I was selling them---$60.00 to $75.00---I would mix the woods up making each one different----maybe even some smoked or colored plexi----make about 4 of them---gives folks something to pick from.
    Making money is not a bad thing----you can spend it on tools
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Lotsa good advice!

What does it cost in time and materials plus and hourly rate, and artistic considerations. You probably won;t want to do it, but you might see what Norm is doing or would do on a piece like that. Bargin hunters think you should "give" them one too".
    Bob

Steve:

If I was selling this in a gallery or good shop no less than $100.

Following the $10 rule.. $70 for the pot the rest for the lid and finish..

I cant tell you the number of times Ive been told not to underprice my work. Its really true. I dont value the stuff I make the way other folks do (I see to much of it and see all the things I could have done better)..nor do I have the type of disposable income that other people do. I just dont understand how other people spend their money, so I followed the advise of others and they were right.

And calling it a "candy dish" is sorta making it sound like something trivial.. which it isnt.. You can chunk out a candy dish in about 30 mins.. this little covered enclosed form is on the line between craft and art.
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Here I go.....

Steve, I am guessing you have an idea of my opinions from the recent pricing questions leading up to my show. But I have heard this from galleries I have visited post show.

"If you don't value it, neither will potential customers."

Obviously price varies with quality, but assuming it's the tops in feel and finish, then I would say $75 is a rock bottom minimum, $95 seems more like it. If the wood is figured/special, then go up a bit.

Another thing, if you make some sales you might ask the customers if you can make the walls a hair thicker, cuz if it's actually gonna have hands on it all the time it's likely to get knocked off the edge of a desk at some point.

Hutch

I'm just starting to sell my pieces as well, and I have to agree with people that are saying DON'T SELL CHEAP! I would think $75minimum is fair, more in a gallery, but you'd have to figure a commission fee. Most places here seem to be 30-40% commission. I think it wouldn't be fair to your skill to sell it for less than $75. I have to agree completely with the comments about selling too cheaply. I sold a set of 5 salad bowls and a 12" main bowl for $200; too cheap and told the person not to tell anyone, that it was a special deal b/c it took me a LOT longer than I thought it would to get around to it b/c of classes & work. It was supposed to be 250 and only 4 bowls. I hope that it doesn't bite me later.

Agree with Matt. Range of 80 to 128 depending upon the market. It's a very nice piece, but doubt if most folks would pay more than 100. All the various formulae are helpful to get in the right ballpark, and the bottom is still whether the customer will see that $ value in that (or any) piece. If you have a local artist friend (like we always say), ask him/her if xx$ would be a fair selling price.

And just wait until you sell 4 or 5 pieces. You are going to feel GREAT.

Edit: When you are represented by a gallery, NEVER undercut their prices when selling out of your shop. It's tempting, since you can discount 20% and still make more money, but is really bad form.
    Last edited by Richard Madison; 09-18-2008 at 8:59 PM.
    Richard in Wimberley

prices

I agree with what Tom said. That is way too nice to be called a candy dish.
    Walk fast and look worried.

Depends on whether you want it to be a candy dish or you want it to be art. For a candy dish I would say in the $50 to $75 range. For art I would say $150 minimum. Depends on where you want to try to go with your turning. If you go to a gallery and only charge them $50 for it they probably won't take it. Unfortunately I think if you are wanting to be known as an artist you have to price high. I did not mean this to sound harsh. Bottom line is you have to go with what your heart tells you.
    Last edited by Keith Burns; 09-18-2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: added
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Steve, my take on this... The bottom bowl doesn't have a lot of character or color, but the shape is more difficult to do with the calabash style so, $50 or so for the bowl. Also, the plain blond color of the maple doesn't sell well for me. The lid would be an extra $20 or so. If you used figured wood for the bottom, then $60 to $100 for the bottom and the finial and lid extra. I would have trouble selling one like that, even with figured wood for more than $100. But who knows, it could be a piece that you put in your booth, and it sells to the first person who walks in. It is different, and has a nice shape.
    robo hippy