Thread: Finish for Black Walnut

Finish for Black Walnut

Can anyone recommend a durable clear finish for walnut? I am making kitchen cabinets from walnut and need a durable finish but also like the rich look of the natural wood and don't want it to dull over time if thats possible. Parts of my kitchen does get direct sunlight so I have to deal with that also on some of the cabinets.

Lacquer - about four coats sprayed on. Durable, will keep the shine, and easy to repair if it gets scratched, etc.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Walnut in the sun is going to fade. Double pane windows with low-e glass would help that out. To preserve color longer, a little pigmented stain, not too heavy or dark, can help.

As far as top coats. A lot depends on your finishing capabilities. Lacquer pretty much demands spray facilities, and tradtional nitrocellulose lacquer requires non-explosive facilities which for amateurs means a shade tree and no really close neighbors. Waterborne finishes are easier to spray safely, and about as durable as lacquer. Target USL is one such. You would want to seal the stain from the waterborne with a coat or two of DEWAXED shellac.

For hand applied finish, the clear winner is an oil-based varnish, probably in a Satin sheen. Using a wipe on method reduces the need for rubbing out the final product--an major PITA on something as large as a kitchen.
    I'd recommend Waterlox Satin thinned a bit to best wiping consistency. It is a varnish made from tung oil and phenolic resin, a combination which when reacted together to create the varnish gives excellent water and chemical resistence that would be dramatically better than lacquer.

I believe the current issue of Woodworking magazine has an article discussing a finish for walnut. In it they formulate a finish close to walnut antiques with just right amount of warmth.
    Let us know what you come up with!

5. I just did some quilted walnut with nitrocellulose - great 'pop', low build (satin sheen). Looks great!