Thread: Orbital sanders and Dust

Orbital sanders and Dust

I have a porter Cable Orbital sander. It works great but makes alot of dust. I did find out they make a hose to connect to it and a shop vac. Does this work good ? And if not what brand of sander has a good dust collection system? I am not into paying $400.00 for a Fein Sander. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mortenson
    I have a porter Cable Orbital sander. It works great but makes alot of dust. I did find out they make a hose to connect to it and a shop vac. Does this work good ? And if not what brand of sander has a good dust collection system? I am not into paying $400.00 for a Fein Sander. Thanks
    You don't say what model of PC you've got, but most random orbit sanders work great with a vacuum. You don't need to buy a $400 sander. My $60 DeWalt does it just fine. The only real trick is to find an adapter to connect your sander's exhaust port to the hose on your vacuum. If you've got that identified, go for it!

I've got the PC sander and have it hooled up to my Mini Fein. No dust escapes, the Festool has the best dust colelction, but no need to run out and buy. The PC will work just fine. I bought the adapter at Coastal Tool, takes a tad bit of modification, but in the end it seals up just fine.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I purchased the sander hose from Porter Cable. While it was pricey for what it is, it fit my shopvac without a hitch. The hose is generous in its length and nicely flexible. I'd say it gets 99% of the dust. My only complaint is the noisy shopvac, but that's not the hose's fault.

Same Here

I have a 12 yr old PC and bought the dust collection accessory later. Still does a bang up job.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Hi Mike, I stole my adapter from my husbands tool box - a roll of electricians tape. What was to be a "temporary fix" has worked so well that I haven't bothered to get the proper adapter.

A few wraps with the tape and it makes a tight seal.
    Shelley

I found a hose at Sears that slips on the PC ROS and hooks to the shop vac. It's cheap and works, what more can you ask.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like i need to buy a hose.

another possibilty

i had a crafstman shop vac and the small hose,1.25" i tink fit snugly to a PC random and the 2.5 adapter fits snugly to my 2,5 gat onthe DC system just insert and go and then store when not in use. the hose was 8 or ten feet long.// yankee inginuty will sometimes save dollars
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!