Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new jig saw

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    I was raised to understand (by a low level wood worker) that a jig saw had a table like a small scroll saw. I had one as a kid. The same man defined a hand held saw of which we seem to be speaking as a "sabersaw". Are the terms jigsaw and sabersaw now synonymous or was I taught wrong in the beginning?

David, the often confused
    To me the terms 'jig saw' and 'sabre saw' have always meant the same thing (and I go bak a long way). Lately, however, I hardly ever hear anyone using the term 'sabre saw'.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    To me the terms 'jig saw' and 'sabre saw' have always meant the same thing (and I go bak a long way). Lately, however, I hardly ever hear anyone using the term 'sabre saw'.
    Maybe its the term Sabre... could frighten someone off...
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Yeah, it probably isn't politically correct any longer.

Two different online dictionary/encyclopedias neither really distinguished between the two.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    Maybe its the term Sabre... could frighten someone off...

I'll throw a vote out there for my Makita 4305T. I've had it for around a year and a half, and love it. Well balanced, cuts great, easy to control with the barrel grip.

I don't think they make this model any longer, but I'm sure whatever they replaced it with is just as worthy.
    "Where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise."
    -Thomas Gray-

Micheal - my Uncle Pete had a "Jigsaw" (now my brother has it) - it was like you described - it had a table with an arm that moved up and down at one speed - FAST. I learned to cut out rough shapers when I was a kid - Uncle Pete was the only one who ever let us girls near the woodshop - but it was a rare treat. I don't know what model it was - but it works like a charm. The sabre saw was what we now call the Jigsaw - I think people use the term interchangeably.

Betsy

I remember scroll saws being called jig-saws and jig saws called sabre saws. Now a sabre saw to me is a Sawz-All! So now I've got scroll saw (table), jig-saw (mobile scroll saw!), sabre (in-line blade, LARGE mobile scroll saw!)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Filtz
    Now a sabre saw to me is a Sawz-All! So now I've got scroll saw (table), jig-saw (mobile scroll saw!), sabre (in-line blade, LARGE mobile scroll saw!)
    Hmmm...Then what the heck is a "Recipricating saw"???!!! I think it's kind of "Vise grips", "Channel locks" and "Xerox"....Sometimes item names are called the brand name for so long, it becomes one in the same. To me, a "skill saw" was always what we know today as a circular saw!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I currently have an older PC 97549 "bayonet" saw. It is fixed base, but quite accurate at 90 deg. The different names are interesting. That said when I can I intend to get a Festool saw whatever the name. Love their tools.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Hi Christian.
    Lets take Porter Cable as an example.This co. is forced to sell to the
    big boxes and the same time to the small stores,To Amazon and to other internet dealers.
    They can't afford to stay out from any of this markets.
    So ..they have to walk a fine line between the distributors/dealers and the consumers, both DIY/Pros.
    And look at the products that they manage to pull out. Can you find me a circular saw or router of the same quality and price in EU?
    What I'am trying to say is ..the American manufactures cater to the American market and they do OK.
    If you see the Dewalt tools in EU they're more European design and priced
    And if you take BOSCH tools in US they're made by Skill and look more American than European. And if you look close at the fine print all of the above tools...some of them are made in China and Taiwan.
    I have a circular saw here (prototype) made in China that is Better that all the above makes. And I have another saw (Prototype)made in Germany By A major EU manufacture that is...the one I will never use.
    I think I will stop here for now. This thing is getting more complicated that it seems.

I talked to the people at the tool shop and they have confirmed what many of you have said. Bosch makes the best jig saws on the market. Despite what I said earlier, I am going to purchase one. Now, which model should I get. Is there enough improvement on the new model to spend an additional $40?

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages
    I talked to the people at the tool shop and they have confirmed what many of you have said. Bosch makes the best jig saws on the market. Despite what I said earlier, I am going to purchase one. Now, which model should I get. Is there enough improvement on the new model to spend an additional $40?

Dan
    There were many of us said that Festool, not Bosch makes the best jig saw. Now that you have decided to buy from a German company, why don't you buy the BEST. I strongly advise you to try both before your purchase. If you do give both saws a good test, I am confident that you will buy Festool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages
    According to their latest ad, they improved the blade guides for better cutting with less wandering, incorporated a tool-less release for tilting the base and added a simple lever for releasing the blade during changes. It also has a heftier motor. I'd go with the newer model, but that's not unusual for me!

The real decision is...D-Handle or Barrel Handle?! (I chose barrel for my Festool as I felt I had more control with that format) If I hadn't bought the Green and Black tool, I would have bought the Bosch. Nice machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    There were many of us said that Festool, not Bosch makes the best jig saw. Now that you have decided to buy from a German company, why don't you buy the BEST. I strongly advise you to try both before your purchase. If you do give both saws a good test, I am confident that you will buy Festool.
    Frank. It all comes down down to dollars and cents. The Bosch saw is between $120-$160. The Festool saw is between $250-$300. I will buy what I can afford.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Jigsaws

There is one feature about the Festool which none of the others seem to have incorporated. The Festool has a zero tolerance clear plastic plate which really stops, totally, the ragged edge on the cut, the spintering. In fact, one can size a separate plate for every type blade and remove and insert them in a flash for any use.

A contractor came into Woodcraft over in Springfield recently during a demonstration and watched a cut being made without the plate. Just like the others. Then the demo guy inserted the plate into the saw base and made the same cut. The contractor's jaw dropped and he said, "I'll take one." And he ordered it on the spot. It also has blade guides which do hold it beautifully at perpindicular, though I have experienced a small amount of wandering working 4X material on occasion, but it will take it out with a few thin cuts in no time.

I can't imagine a better jigsaw/sabresaw/whatever than Festool.

Jack Young

Pssstt

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Young
    There is one feature about the Festool which none of the others seem to have incorporated. The Festool has a zero tolerance clear plastic plate which really stops, totally, the ragged edge on the cut, the spintering. In fact, one can size a separate plate for every type blade and remove and insert them in a flash for any use.

A contractor came into Woodcraft over in Springfield recently during a demonstration and watched a cut being made without the plate. Just like the others. Then the demo guy inserted the plate into the saw base and made the same cut. The contractor's jaw dropped and he said, "I'll take one." And he ordered it on the spot. It also has blade guides which do hold it beautifully at perpindicular, though I have experienced a small amount of wandering working 4X material on occasion, but it will take it out with a few thin cuts in no time.

I can't imagine a better jigsaw/sabresaw/whatever than Festool.

Jack Young
    Hey Jack. My bosch, [around five years old] also has a clear plastic plate to stop splintering, and it works great.

Dan, I feel comfortable with my current one and see no need to update to the newer model. Ones like mine are no longer manufactured I'm sure, so check around. There ought to be some decent prices out there on them. New five years ago was $160.00.
    Steve