Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaws: bigger not always better?

Rob Will Guest
    What?????
    Are little bandsaws better than big bandsaws for scroll work?
    Blasphemy!

Just kidding. Actually, IMHO, when you are swinging materials all over the place doing scroll work you need the extra room of a big bandsaw.

I just did a 4' x 5' puzzle for a neighbor that required swinging the work (1/2" plywood) 180 degrees more times than I care to remember. The Moak 36 worked like.....well......like it is supposed to.

Same guides to adjust on either size saw, just a longer blade on the big ones.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I'm a member of the double bandsaw society. I keep my old Oliver set up with a 1 1/4" blade to resaw, rip, or rough dimension, and leave the 14" Delta set up with a 3/8" blade for the gazillion other little things a bandsaw is good for.
    While I'm not there yet, I agree with Steve. When I bought my 14" I had no intention of using it for resawing. That's something I've never done. When I do start resawing I will get a larger "dedicated" saw for that purpose and keep the 14" for the rest of my bandsaw needs.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I also have two saws.

My Laguna 24 X 24 is fitted with a power feeder, roller fence, and 1-1/4" 1.7 TPI carbide blade. It is a dedicated resaw usually used for shop sawn veneers.

My second saw is a Grizzly 14" that I keep a 5/16" 10TPI that I use for cutting curves, shaping legs, and just running over and cutting something on. I never de-tension this saw, I'm just too lazy and like that it is always ready to cut!
    John

Chisel And Bit
    Custom Crafted Furniture

I didn't know I too was a member of the "double-bandsaw society" until I read this. Wow, I didn't even have to apply or pay any dues!

I use my 14 inch grizz with a 3/8 or 1/2 inch blade for larger work and my 10 inch Delta with 1/8 or 1/4 inch blade for small cuts. I'd say I use the little Delta about 60-40 compared to the Grizz. I guess it just depends on the type of work you do....

if I could, I'd turn my entire workshop into a giant bandsaw, with the 40' blade coming down from the ceiling in the middle of the room, through a table and into a conduit in the floor and back to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Lance, are you a professional or hobbyist?

Just wondering who is a member of the double-bandsaw society???
    Brian... I am a hobbyist. I love the bandsaw. It is my favorite power tool. I have a smaller basement shop and if I didnt already have a Delta cabinet saw, I might not even have a table saw. If I were starting out again, it would probably be bandsaw only.

Oh... and I am a member of the triple bandsaw society.

Eric. Don't trip. Please.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

The factory guides on some large bandsaws will not accommodate very narrow blades. For example, the European-style guides on my 18" Jet will only reasonably accommodate about a 1/4" blade without a high likelihood of the teeth hitting the guides. The after-market Carter replacement guide set works fine, however.