Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a cansiter filter to an existing DC

Adding a cansiter filter to an existing DC

I have a JET DC-1100 (I think that is the model number anyway) dust collector. As I understand it, the present models have a diameter of 20" while mine is 18". The newer ones have the option of having a canister filter like this one.

I would like to upgrade my older DC-1100 with one of these canisters. I believe I will need a retrofit kit to compensate for the different diameters. Has anyone done this or know anything about what exactly I will need to purchase in addition to the canister itself?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Hi Glen, I just did the retro to mine last week. You'll need to get the kit. (A two box combo) In one is a new 20" ring, 5 clear bags and the new retainer band to hold the bag. In the other is the canister filter and handle. You just take the old bags and ring off, put the new ring no and install bag. place filter on top and tighten down and it's ready to go. I got a increase in air flow and can now keep a eye on the lower bag. Looking for cheaper bags tho 17.99 for 5 bags is too much. (I bought 5 extras when I got the kit just to make sure I had plenty. HTH Dale
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Lesak View Post
    Hi Glen, I just did the retro to mine last week.
    Thanks Dale. Where did you make the purchase and approx. how much did you spend?
    Regards,

Glen

Glen, I have the DC-1100 and upgraded mine to a cartridge two years ago. I didn't buy the upgrade kit from Jet (I don't think it was available then). I bought mine from Wynn Environmental. Specifically, I bought the 35A274BLOL which is a paper/poly (80/20) blend efficient to 0.5 microns with 274 ft2 of filter area. It currently sells for $95. It is 17.5 inches in diameter and fit perfectly into the ring on my DC-1100. I also purchased extra poly bags from them at the same time (4 mil / 10 pack = $12.00).

In addition to the cartridge I made two other significant improves - I added a neutral vane and a down draft tube. Once I installed these I noticed a dramatic decrease in the amount of dust caking up on the filter and was surprised at the cyclonic action going on in the bag.

In the attached photo you can see the neutral vane and downdraft tube.

I made these using 23g sheet metal and pop rivets.

Last year I changed from 4 inch piping to 6 inch and that cyclonic action in the bag is now VERY violent. I am VERY impressed with the performance of this unit.

Be well,

Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don Abele; 01-26-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: fixed photo posting

Don, are you saying that you did not have to make a donut? This from the Wynn website regarding JET's DC-1100.....

Jet 1100 Series- According to Jet's documentation, this series has a 20" rim. We are not convinced that this is correct, at least on some of the older units out there. According to Tom in Oregon, the Older Style Jet 1100 has an inside diameter of about 17.25". This does not allow the 35A filter to fit inside the rim, and a donut must be fabricated.

If a retrofit kit is not needed and I don't need to be concerned with adapting it via a donut, this may be the most reasonable solution.
    Regards,

Glen

Glen, I do not have a donut on mine. I did have to use a piece of ply and a dead blow hammer to "help" the filter get into the ring, but it did without any additional modification.

The attached photo is from two years ago when I first installed it (and was living in Virginia), but you can clearly see the filter seated into the ring.

Be well,

Doc
    Last edited by Don Abele; 01-26-2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: fixed photo posting

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post

This photo is from two years ago when I first installed it (and was living in Virginia), but you can clearly see the filter seated into the ring.

Doc
    Did you say "photo"?
    Regards,

Glen

Don - your photos are not coming through

Don - your photos are not coming through and I would very much like to see them.

Roger, not sure what happened - I attached them inline. I just went back and added them as attached images. Hopefully now they will show for you.

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post

In addition to the cartridge I made two other significant improves - I added a neutral vane and a down draft tube. Once I installed these I noticed a dramatic decrease in the amount of dust caking up on the filter and was surprised at the cyclonic action going on in the bag.
    Don, I am not certain I understand the purpose of the neutral vane and down draft tube - nor am I clear on exactly what they are doing. However, I have a 2-stage system with a trash can that collects most of the large chips before they get to my DC. Does such an arrangement decrease the need for the neutral vane and down draft tube?
    Regards,

Glen

Glen, a neutral vane extends the inlet into the center of the ring and the down draft tube adds a wall which the air must swirl around. By doing so, the air enters at the midpoint of the circle, reducing turbulence (by as much as 1/3). The downdraft tube further reduces it and forces the air to circulate in a rotational direction, not just get scattered all over the place.

This information was gleaned from Bill Pentz's site, though the information was designed for a cyclone, I found it also worked for my single stage collector.

I don't have CFM or static pressure measurements to prove it, the only data I have is empirical - it seems to be be sucking harder, and the cyclonic action in the lower bag was not there before the changes. Before it was just a whirling mess. It is now a definite cyclonic action. The same proof for when I switched from 4" to 6" piping.

With a two stage system, you might see a performance increase as Bill says a neutral vane improves static pressure by about 1". This may also help keep the fine dust in the bag rather than it winding up in the filter.

Be well,

Doc

Don, Thanks for the clarification.

It appears as if JET's retrofit kit is nothing more than a new 20" diameter middle section to accommodate the canister. Do you happen to know if there are any internal design changes (e.g. cyclone-like configuration, neutral vane, etc) to this middle section, or is it exactly like what I have now only 2" wider?
    Regards,

Glen

Glen, the retro kit is just that - a new middle ring, the canister, and a new strap for the lower bag. The only thing different is the size of the ring.

Be well,

Doc

Glen,
    Don't buy the Jet canister. Buy the paper blend one from Wynn for $95.00. Go to http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

Then make a separator baffle invented by Phil Thien. I used one of these inside my Jet DC and it works fantastically. Go to http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...55146#poststop

and go to http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

The canister is probably less money than the Jet and has over 3x the filter area. The baffle will keep it from plugging up.

With the baffle in place, the canister will not attach the way that the Wynn website describes. Use my solution shown below in the photos

I am extremely happy with my setup. The baffle is genius and I consider it a must have. My canister clogged terribly before I made the baffle. This is the best thing to happen to DC since the introduction of the electric motor. (remember how tired our wives' legs used to get peddling that bicycle?)

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Romano View Post
    Glen,
    Don't buy the Jet canister. Buy the paper blend one from Wynn for $95.00. Go to http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm
    Thanks David. I had just completed my purchase from Wynn when I read your post.

I have a trash can with "cyclone" lid in-line with the DC 1100 to separate out the larger chips. From my reading, it appears as if I should place the baffle in the trash can, no?
    Regards,

Glen