Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Selection

Lathe Selection

Hi Everyone,
    I hope that I am posting this in the correct place on the forum.
    I have just become a new member and am looking for a small lathe.I've seen a few mini lathes Rikon, Jet, and General International to date. The General 25-200 Maxi Variable Speed seems the most impressive to me. I'm not new to woodworking but I am new to turning. I've used the search function (possibly not correctly) but have not come to a conclusion as of yet. I suppose that everyone has a favorite brand, but as with any equipment there must be some brands or models to avoid.
    Any help or opinions would certainly be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Gene

Welcome to the Creek Gene !! A great place with a lot of great people.

As far as which lathe to get you will get a lot of different opinions. The only thing I will say is to stay away from the "off brands" like Grizzly and Harbor Freight. The Jet I'm sure will be the most recommended but the others are good as well.

Now, go get one and start having some fun !
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Gene,

Welcome to the forum!

What you will want in a lathe depends on what you think, at least initially, what you want to turn. 3 years ago I wanted to try turning. Didn't have a clue, as to what I wanted to turn, or if I would even like it. I was more looking for a hobby for retirement than anything else. I looked at the mini's but then made the decision to get a small larger lathe, the HF model 34706. It turns out I fell in love with turning. For 2 1/2 years the little HF did everything that was asked of it. In February of this year I upgraded to a Powermatic 3520B. The Mustard will most likely be my last lathe. The HF is now a permanent Beall buffing station and is used regualarly for that purpose. I do mostly bowls, pepper and saltmills, ornaments, and a variety of other things.

Jim

Gene; here's what has happened to me and my lathe(s). I started out with a lathe because it was interesting and I felt it could be that hobby I could stay with through retirement. I started with a Sears lathe that required me to stop the lathe and change the belt position to change speeds. This soon became a problem and was causing me to loose interest in turning. So, I bought a Nova 3000. Excellent lathe with more and better features and I was excited once again about turning. Along comes a grandson who has shown an aptitude for all things mechanical and impresses me with his ability to reason and understand the lathe. I now have purchased a PM 3520b and couldn't be more pleased. What a lathe. I'm excited, my grandson is excited and together we are going to make a REAL MESS in the shop, ah, studio. I think what I mean to say is two things; buy a lathe that really excites you and will be what you want for well into the future and two; lay out the maximum you feel you can afford and not have to update when you discover you want to turn bigger objects. BTW, I still use all three lathes, just use the Mustard more.
    Friendship is the one bright light, that keeps on burning day and night.

Hi Gene,
    Welcome to the Creek. You say you are looking for a small lathe. Well that depends on HOW SMALL. My smallest, well almost smallest, lathe is a Marklin, maid in Germany. Quite old, no longer maid, around $250.00.
    I run it in my mini shop, it's only 6" long, about 2.5" tall. Runs good.

I am sure you will find many agree the Jet mini is a fine lathe, although a number of folks have others. I like my Jet mini vs.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Stevener; 08-13-2007 at 10:16 PM.

Gene - Just wanted to stop in and Welcome you to the Creek!

As far as lathes - not knowing what area you are from - do you know if there is a turning club anywhere near you? If so, there are always members upgrading their equipment and you may be able to pick one up fairly cheap - at least it would be something to start out with. Then once you have been turning for a little while you will know what it is you really want to turn and can buy a lathe to handle that type of turning.

What ever you decide - have fun with it and keep posting!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burns View Post
    Welcome to the Creek Gene !! A great place with a lot of great people.

As far as which lathe to get you will get a lot of different opinions. The only thing I will say is to stay away from the "off brands" like Grizzly and Harbor Freight. The Jet I'm sure will be the most recommended but the others are good as well.

Now, go get one and start having some fun !
    Why stay away from Grizzly?

Thank you to all that replied. I took a class in turning at my nearest Woodcraft store (100 miles away) and think that I would like to try some turning. I know that a turning club meets at that location, but it's a little far for me to attend on a regular basis. I suppose that any name brand lathe would probably suffice for my purposes--especially since I really don't know what they are at this time. I was thinking some pens for sure, and there was an end table that I would like to try to make legs for. I didn't see that anyone said anything about the General 25-200 VS maxi lathe one way or the other. It seems to have some heft for a small lathe and I understand that a bed extension is available. The 3/4 H.P. motor is somewhat bigger than the Jet or Rikon brands.
    Thanks again as any input is very much appreciated.
    Gene

General Maxi-Lathe

Gene,

I bought a General Maxi-Lathe a few months ago. While I have been too busy a work to give it much of a work out, from what I have seen so far, I have nothing but good things to say about it. I bought it over a Jet Mini because I was pretty sure I was not going to be able to upgrade in a year or 2 like so many do around here. I felt that it had just a bit more capacity than the Jet to make it worthwhile. I am very happy with the choice I made.

Joel,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear from someone who actually owns the lathe that I am interested in and likes it. Like yourself, I want to get a decent sized lathe that I can actually do several things on, because an upgrade may not be in the cards for some time. The General seems to have a bit more capacity and horsepower. Since I am new to turning, I didn't want to tie up thousands of dollars in a machine that I really wouldn't or possibly couldn't use that much.
    Gene

If you have an amount that you plan on spending for everything best thing to consider first is all of the extras that you will need, sharpening system, chisels, chucks and the list goes on. Look at the options on them and then try to match your wants with your needs and budget. A good inexpensive lathe will cost in the $300 range all of the extras will cost more if you are not careful.

Gene,
    I don't own the maxi, but I do own a GI. I have the large 650 vs. I would not trade this lathe if you offered me a PM and $1200 dollars that I bought the lathe for. Ok maybe for that deal I would. But just saying the quality of the is comperable to most other lathes in the same price range and a little higher, but for the lower end of the price range. Plus their customer service is second to none, both for me and others. (read post on general woodworkers area about a planer by Mr. Hermann) They stepped up when they did not have to. Tha speaks volumnes to me. Their products are hefty and built to last, even if their bosy designs are not the most up to date. I love my General Int. and have put it to the test and it aced it!!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Good morning Gene and Welcome to SMC.

Many people start out with a Mini-Lathe and then after some time has passed.....maybe 3 months, or even 3 years, they decide to move up to a larger lathe. I went through 3 lathe buys before I finally settled on the lathe that I will have until long after I retire for good.

Here's something to think about:
    1. Jet you a Jet Mini VS lathe and use it, learn on it, experience turning on it.
    2. Never let go of the Mini...sometime down the road, you'll want to use the mini again for some of your smaller turnings just because it's a nice setup, nice machine, and it portable. Think about turning on the mini out under a large shade tree on a nice fall or spring day with a gentle breeze at you back. OK....my day dreaming has stopped now.
    3. Eventually, most will upgrade to a larger lathe because they have out-grown their lathe or desire to do more and larger turnings.

Think about "what you want to do on the lathe" and then ask about "which turning tools should I buy", and then ask "what accessories will I need".

The "what you want to do on the lathe" will determine what type of lathe, what size of lathe, and "which turning tools you'll need". Remember that turning bowls requires a different type of turning tools from the tools necessary for spindle turning.
    The "what accessories will I need" can then better be answered once the primary question is answered and a lathe choice is made.

I guess I've rambled on enough...Best of luck to ya Gene and let us know what you decide and if we can help you spend any more of your money.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Code:

A good inexpensive lathe will cost in the $300 range all of the extras will cost more if you are not careful.
    Give me a break Marvin, I am so far past the cost of my lathe in accessories it isn't funny.

Gene, I own the Delta Midi and have turned on the Jet and Rikon in classes at Woodcraft. The store is only about 6 months old and at the last class the Rikions gave us a variety of problems. Otherwise they all seemed to perform acceptably. I have to stop my lathe and move the belt to change speeds but it is a quick, easy process. Maybe as my skills and experiences progress it will become an annoyance but for now no problems.

Tom Collins

Hi Gene,

I own the Maxi and have been happy with it but I use it as my second lathe.

I have only done a couple of bowls on it and use it mainly for small things.

I think you will like it.

Pete
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf