Thread: Lie-Nielsen is coming...

Lie-Nielsen is coming...

To Marlborough Mass (Central mass - west of Boston)
    From their web-site:
    December 1st and 2nd
    Friday December 1 from 12 noon to 8pm
    Saturday December 2 from 10am to 5pm

Try our full line of tools. Special show pricing.
    On-going demonstrations of sharpening, dovetailing and planing
    (bring your "impossible to plane" woods).Special guests include:

Chris Schwarz from Popular Woodworking magazine to discuss the mysteries of hand tools and his latest DVDs.

Konrad Sauer with his infill planes.

Larry Williams of Clark & Williams, wood planemakers.

Michel Ariou, from France with his wonderful handmade rasps.

Peter Korn from the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship to talk about woodworking and his school.

Lie-Nielsen Toolworkers to discuss their craft.

New tools from the Toolworks, and new DVDs with Chris Schwarz and David Charlesworth.
    At the

Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel
    181 Boston Post Road West,
    Marlborough, MA 01752
    888-543-9500

Map

If you want to stay overnight, the hotel is offering a special room rate of $99. per night

until November 27th. Please mention the LNTW Woodworking show when making reservations (888-543-9500).
    Free Admission to the Show.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/boston.html

I am very impressed with the lineup of folks they are bringing in for this.
    I've been to some LN seminars at their shop in Maine featuring Chris Schwarz and others - the cost of admission for those has been $50 - this event is FREE!
    I like the idea of a "Self Contained" woodworking show without all the other vendors... I am very excited about this

Matt

This is a wonderful opportunity for anyone in the area. I would go if I could, too bad I'll have to miss it.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Hi Matt,

It looks good to me, too. I wonder how "formal" the presentations will be -- what I mean is: is it the kind of thing where you pretty much see all there is to see in 30 minutes, or will it be worth sticking around for most of the day. The reason this matters to me is that it is a 3 1/2 hour drive for me, and I'm trying to decide whether to go.
    -Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Homan
    Hi Matt,

It looks good to me, too. I wonder how "formal" the presentations will be -- what I mean is: is it the kind of thing where you pretty much see all there is to see in 30 minutes, or will it be worth sticking around for most of the day. The reason this matters to me is that it is a 3 1/2 hour drive for me, and I'm trying to decide whether to go.
    -Andy
    Andy,

When Deneb (LN rep) demo'd at the DFW woodworking show, I watched him for two hours, and could have watched for two more. It was very interactive. He talked as he demo'd, explained lots of stuff, and answered any questions. If you said "show me how you do this" he would. In short, with the line up of instructors at this mini-show, I would drive the 3.5 hours. You will not be disappointed.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Deneb is really a great guy! Very knowledgable...I justsaw him again in Costa Mesa and he gave me a few LN tips on their planes... This show sounds terrific....I was just in Boston a month ago and I will miss this....but it is an all star cast!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

No doubt in my mind that I'll be there. It's only an hour to an hour and a quarter drive for me.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

7. No doubt in my mind that I'll be there. It's only an hour to an hour and a quarter drive for me.
    Luck so and so <g>...

This sounds all too familiar. Maybe I dreamt about such a conversation recently. Hmmm!

Take care, Mike

I called LN today. There are apparently no "formal" presentations. Everyone will be set up in their own area...you can wander around and talk with all of them as they answer questions, demonstrate, tell tall tales, etc.

This sounds like it shouldn't be missed if at all possible. I spent at least 2 hours watching and listening to Deneb at the last WW show, so I think 5 hours would go by quickly.

Now to figure out how I can swing this trip from St. Louis!

Mmm. From Vancouver, it's not gonna happen...

I was trying to see if I could get there cheaply from Southern California. My wife was even interested in going. My sister lives about an hour and a half away and I haven't seen her in almost a year, so I figured I could stop by and visit her as well.

But with an estimated cost of $800 it seems unlikely that I will end up going. That is just a little too much to spend on a weekend visit. I would sure love to go though.

-Phil

Finally, a local woodworking show. That's only 20 minutes for me

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hirz

But with an estimated cost of $800 it seems unlikely that I will end up going.
    -Phil
    Well if you buy $8000 worth of tools, the discount on the tools will pay for the trip

I will have to run that logic by my wife and see how she responds.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    Andy,

When Deneb (LN rep) demo'd at the DFW woodworking show, I watched him for two hours, and could have watched for two more. It was very interactive. He talked as he demo'd, explained lots of stuff, and answered any questions. If you said "show me how you do this" he would. In short, with the line up of instructors at this mini-show, I would drive the 3.5 hours. You will not be disappointed.
    That's funny that you should mention that guy's name. Back in October the big Woodworkers Show hit Portland, and that guy (Deneb), (it's an easy name to remeber), was manning the Lie-Nielsen booth. He must really get around.
    Anyway, I concur with you Martin: the guy was great, answered all questions in a thoughtful manner. In fact his presentation was so persuasive, I finally broke down and bought a L.N. plane after years of hemming and hawing.
    That show ought to be a lot of fun.