Thread: Wooden smoother question

Wooden smoother question

I was thinking of getting a coffin smoother from Knight bedded at a high angle to work figured woods like birds eye, curly maple, etc, etc. I was wondering if anyone is using one and could lend their opinion. Also, for anyone with a wooden smoother, no matter the make, do you find it difficult to use due to the high angle and lack of knob/tote to get leverage with. Looking forward to your comments.......

2. Hi Nick,

I have owned 4 Knight smoothers and still own one. It is the last plane used on nearly everything I have made.

Also, don't forget to look at Clark & Williams' planes. Top performers.

As regards the high angle, if the blade is sharp there are no worries on pushing it. As the blade dulls, it will get increasingly hard to take a nice shaving. Pop the blade and do a quick hone at that point. But as far as holding one, it is easy just different than a plane with a tote.

Take care, Mike

Woodies are the best and Knight's are great....I have 3 of his and love them!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I have both a Knight smoother in 50 degree and a Clark & Williams in 55 degree and love them both. They are my go to planes for use in tiger maple or any wood with nasty grain. I've planed a walut burl to absolute smootheness with the C&W and the surface just glistened.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I have many Knight smoothers and they're really good planes - especially if you opt for the Japanese iron. As far as ergonomics go, they are no different in terms of difficulty with planing than a toted plane. The exact mechanics of use are different but I wouldn't say using one or the other is more difficult. For smoothing more difficult woods, especially larger areas such as panels - be prepared to hone the iron often to get best results.

I'll also say that I've got the line of Veritas bevel-up planes and they too excell in performance.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Clayton
    I was thinking of getting a coffin smoother from Knight bedded at a high angle to work figured woods like birds eye, curly maple, etc, etc.
    I started making Krenov style planes a couple of months ago, and I must have made about 7-8 of these with various bedding angles and body shapes. Me and Dennis spent a day trying out three planes with bedding angles of 37, 45 and 55 degrees on various woods -with the grain and against it. The 45 smoother woorked like a charm on everything including curly maple. But there was a tangible difference in the shine and tactile quality when used against the grain. The 55 was pretty much oblivious to the grain direction. But we did notice that when working with the grain the 45 got a much higher quality of finish than anything else. On Maple (curly and hard) and Ash I could literally see a reflection of objects when the planed board is held at an angle.
    I am sure mr. Knight can do a much better job at making a plane than I can.

do you find it difficult to use due to the high angle and lack of knob/tote to get leverage with. Looking forward to your comments.......
    If you have to exert some force when using a plane, irrespective of angle, one of two things could be happening. The blade needs sharpening or you are taking too heavy a cut.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I rounded the back of mine to a shape that was more comfortable to my hand. I use mine, set very finely, for tricky grain that changes direction. I find it very manouverable.

My Knight smoother and jointer are my only regularly used "bench" planes. There are some Stanley's scattered about the shop but I don't even know what shape their irons are in.

I love my Knight planes and look forward to getting more as need arises.

Steve Kubien

Nick

Here in Oz we use the HNT Gordon planes. These all have a bed of 60 degrees (with the exception of the 55 degree jack) and are designed for planing some of the gnarliest grains around.

I do not experience the high cutting angle as causing difficulty in planing. Keep in mind that the blades are only 2" wide and the mouths are very tight, so leaving a tiny projection. In addition, the wooden soles are slick on wooden surfaces.

Here is the smoother planing Jarrah:

You can reverse the blade to make a terrific 90 degree scraper plane.

I have a review of the Smoother and Try Plane in preparation.

Regards from Perth

Derek