Thread: Federal side tables

Federal side tables

Just completed three cherry side tables with walnut drawer faces.

IMG_0141.jpg IMG_0140.jpg

Started on these about 15 months ago.

Good thing no one is counting on me earning a living from making and selling furniture.

Learned many techniques and skills in the process. I acknowledge and appreciate the contributions of the following individuals in this endeavor:

Steve Latta — videos and articles on building a Federal side table; tools and techniques for making and cutting veneer inlay, Fine Woodworking, March/April 2015

Matthew Teague — panel raising jig, Fine Woodworking Nov/Dec 2004

Christian Becksvoort — techniques for making and applying wipe on oil finish, Fine Woodworking

Rob Cosman — methods and tools for cutting dovetails

Lisa Starr — printing a blade guard for the crosscut sled, Sawmill Creek

Chris A Edwards — downdraft table recommendation, Sawmill Creek

Jim Becker — Noden Adjust-A-Bench recommendation, Sawmill Creek

Carmonius Finsnickeri — making a Domino jig, Sawmill Creek/YouTube

Steven Woodward — methods for building crosscut sled and tapering jig, Sawmill Creek/YouTube
    Last edited by Peter Mich; 05-21-2024 at 8:49 AM. Reason: Formatting

Beautiful. And inspirational. It makes me want to add one to my long list of projects.
    The Plane Anarchist

very nice. Brian

Peter, nice work. I made 6 ( wife and 5 adult kids) of those a few years ago after Steve Latta came out to the left coast for a SAPFM meeting. Same table but did mine in walnut and time slipped away to 2x yours. The one "oops" i had was in finishing. I used orangs shellac to "pop" the walnut . . . which it did nicely, but . . . . my pure white holly stringing and banding is now also "ambered". Unintended consequence or brain fart? Pretty much the latter.

Best, Patrick

Patrick, Latta does a great job explaining things. Must have been a treat to meet him. I had many “oops” along the way, which is why the project took so long. Joints didn’t fit as well as I wanted, grain direction didn’t flow like I thought it should, miters on the inlays didn’t mesh, and so on. I learned many new techniques and acquired some new skills. (Did I mention I bought more tools?) This endeavor gave me a fresh perspective on what projects I might take on in the future.

Cheers,

Peter

Beautiful work Peter!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Very nice-looks like a fun project!

Nicely done, Peter. A favorite style of mine. I haven’t met Latta, but his published tutorials have been a big help for me…plus a few of his tools of course!